• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FYI, all your hood vents now suck, cause mine blows. :D

Pete M

NAXJA Forum User
If anyone has seen this on the web already, I apologize for eating up another two minutes of your time. Apparently my original post here didn't go through cause I can't find it anywhere. But I have a question for you, why did you click on it again? :laugh3:

My truck *desperately* needed some ventilation up front (summer time driving can leave the steel so hot that you won't touch it with bare hands) but I just wasn't willing to open up the engine bay to rain and snow. So I decided on a hood-scoop lookin' vent that should keep out most of the moisture. But I couldn't leave well enough alone so I added a pusher fan from the junkyard. Even has a cool mesh guard around it! But it turned out to be a bit too powerful (think "leaf blower"), so I toned it down with part of a stock MJ/XJ resistor pack with the little coils stuck up inside the scoop in the breeze so they can cool off and no one will burn themselves on them. For those of you that don't know, the interior blower's resister pack consists of several windings of different gauge wire that gets very, *VERY* hot.
And yes, I built the scoop myself, how could you tell? :laugh3:
Jeep on!
-Pete

The scoop faces forwards so as to keep the hot air from hitting my windshield all the time. I don't imagine it'll be running while on the road, just the trail. Maybe on the road it'll draw cool air into the compartment? Dunno. I have it and my aux fan powered through relays with swiches in tha cab so I can experiment as time goes on. The first big test will hopefully be Moab in three weeks. :D
92687030.jpg

Since the photo, I've sealed up the gaps around the fan so alll of the air goes out
92686913.jpg

If the images don't show, go to http://www.picturetrail.com/petermontie and they're in the "Newest changes" at the top.

Only a couple inches. Maybe 2.5". I'm on campus right now but I can measure that when I get home. I just wish I knew what car it came from. It was on the ground near a Ford Areostar, but I don't think it went to it. I saw a similar lookin' one on a foreign car (wasn't paying much attention as to what is was). the junkyard is a pull-your-part so I have the ability to browse the yard and poke around at my leisure. Just make sure it's a pusher. :laugh3:
Jeep on!
--Pete

so ya didn't like the idea of water geting in with the reg vent's everyone uses so you figured a funnel would be a better idea. just dosn't seem like this one was thought out all the way:paperwork. i don't think it will win any fasion shows either.

Like I said, we'll see how it all works out. I'm more than willing to alter the plan as requirements dictate. And is there *any* part of my truck that's going to win a fashion show? :D Practicality on a budget. I don't call it "redneck" engineering though, it's "poor-student" engineering. :laugh3:
Jeep on!
--Pete

71354116.jpg

Last edited:
I am wondering if something like this(fan) could be set-up with the hood vents.....

Mine gets VERY hot wheelin. Last week I put about 1" spacers on the rear at the hinges to open up the back, we will see how that does, and it looks great.

I have been wheelin with the hood "popped" open in front, the hook is still on there, but its open about an inch or so. May or may not help. Anyone else do this? Any down sides?

Jason

Sweet vent.. looks like one of those vents over the grill in a greasy spoon.. shat man slap some bacon on the block and I'll feel right at home..
Oh.. nice looking dog..

So let me see, the hood scoop forces air in at speed and the fan pushes it back out??? Sounds like a loosing battle, turn that scoop around. Nice look'n rig though..

MachineMan said:
So let me see, the hood scoop forces air in at speed and the fan pushes it back out??? Sounds like a loosing battle, turn that scoop around. Nice look'n rig though..

it was designed with low speeds and hot days in mind. but turning the front of the scoop to the windshield would help things out at high(er) speeds - with the circulation and all.

you may want to go to the patent office and get the rights to that! then sell it to perma cool or flexalite - make some royalties off that remedy.

then you won't have to budget for "poor-student"

Last I remember, patenting something cost money, but I'll look into it. Thanks :D

Update: the hood scoop does NOT scoop air on the highway. The top of my hood appears to be at a lower pressure than inside the engine compartment because with the fan off, smoke from my blowby (until I re-routed the drain lines to a larger container) puffed out the vent anytime I touch the gas pedal, no matter the speed. So all those people that thought I'd be scooping air into the engine (not that it'd necessarily be a bad thing to scoop fresh air in); nanner-nanner-nanner. :laugh3: The fan is plenty powerful enough to push air out through the vent on the freeway as well as in the hot Moab sun. As a weird side-benefit of the hood scoop's direction, I was able to turn on the fan and lessen the oily fumes finding their way into the cab through the interior ventilation system. The speed of the fan propelled the smoke out into the airstream and away from the truck. I dealt with the blowby smoke for 3 days and fixed it when I got to a buddy's house in Colorado. Not sure why the bloyby got so much worse all of a sudden, but it's not so much an issue any more.
The only thing I'd change is to use stainless bolts. One of mine started rusting even after taking measures I thought would prevent that. Oh well.
Jeep on!
--Pete

103747005.jpg

And while I'm at it, this was the little bottle I added to catch the blowby oil. I never knew so much smoke was coming out until I punched that hole in the hood. D'oh! I would have used a Gatorade bottle but I figured that having the word "power" under my hood should be good for a couple extra ponies. :laugh3:
24085195.jpg

This is the on-the-road solution:
103746991.jpg

Apparantly I can fill it about 1/3 full between Denver and Moab (adding oil as I go). :( Looks like a new engine is a bit higher on the priority list. Too bad they cost money.

Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Project/wheelin' pics: www.picturetrail.com/petermontie

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I have a similar blowby catch can although the front breather is also designed to suck air in while the rear one scavenges and dumps it back into the intake...

My "can" has a separate hose leading out that allows air to still be drawn in...

Closing the front breather off causes my engine to lose idle and die...

My small can was not sealed and the big one has two hoses, one of which runs under the truck to just behind the t-case. Eventually it will dump into a charcoal canister so I can be environmentally friendly, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. The truck hasn't moved since returning from Moab, so it's not like I'm a gross polluter or anything. :laugh3:
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back