• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle body

Thaadius

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2002 TJ 2.5L and i want to put a 4.0l TB on it. What year TB should i be looking for? Is there an advantage to getting a HO TB?

Matt

I've had both the TB's off of our 2.5 TJ's, no real noticable difference in size that I noticed but then I did not have a 4.0 sitting next to it so there might be a difference but I don't think so, all the sensors are the same. Perhaps you are thinking about a bored out throttle body from the aftermarket ? There is not a whole lot you can do for power in the 2.5 without adding ALOT of hardware up to and inlcuding a super charger.
You could check the part numbers online for a 4.0 TB vs a 2.5 and see if they are different.
Just to warn you, we have some posting nazi's here that get really irate if you post other than mj/xj questions on this one. Use the other tech, you will find TJ and YJ stuff posted over there. I just happen to be a member who has both XJ's and TJ's...

JP magazine had an article on such things in the January(?) issue. They said it didn't make much difference. It's pretty much a direct swap according to them as long as you get a compatible year (ho only)

Thaadius said:
I have a 2002 TJ 2.5L and i want to put a 4.0l TB on it. What year TB should i be looking for? Is there an advantage to getting a HO TB?

Matt

The HO TB has a bore of 60mm at the throttle plate and tapers down to 56mm at the bottom. It's much bigger than the 2.5TB and is an excellent upgrade. You can buy one from any 4.0 TJ, '96+ 4.0 XJ/ZJ/WJ that has the MAP sensor mounted to the TB. Your existing MAP sensor, TPS, and IAC will go straight on so it's an easy swap. Enjoy.

Back