• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed sensor location?

cuinrearview

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I just got done replacing my TPS. The computer has been throwing codes 15 and 24. So, where exactly is the speed sensor. I searched, and learned it's on the driver's side. Other than that, I didn't get anything too specific. I crawled under and couldn't see a sensor on that side. If someone has a picture, or a link to a website with a picture, I would be thankful. BTW, I'm still getting a code 24 after unhooking the battery, so maybe I have a TCU issue? So far I've had no drivability issues.

Edit: 1991 with 4.0/AW4

There are two - check your code.

The first one is the "crankshaft speed sensor," commonly referred to as the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) and it's at 11:00 on the bellhousing as viewed from the rear. You'll need a 7/16" or 11mm Universal socket and about three feet worth of extensions to get at the thing. Usually, if this one doesn't work, neither does your engine, but it's worth knowing about.

The second one is the "Vehicle Speed Sensor." If you have a mechanical speedo, it's a junction in the speedo cable right behind the instrument panel. If you have the elecronic speedo, it's on the transfer case tailshaft housing. I don't have a 1991 handy, so I can't take a look (and all my RENIX XJ's have mechanical speedos.)

Does the code give you any more detail?

5-90

5-90 said:
There are two - check your code.

The first one is the "crankshaft speed sensor," commonly referred to as the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) and it's at 11:00 on the bellhousing as viewed from the rear. You'll need a 7/16" or 11mm Universal socket and about three feet worth of extensions to get at the thing. Usually, if this one doesn't work, neither does your engine, but it's worth knowing about.

The second one is the "Vehicle Speed Sensor." If you have a mechanical speedo, it's a junction in the speedo cable right behind the instrument panel. If you have the elecronic speedo, it's on the transfer case tailshaft housing. I don't have a 1991 handy, so I can't take a look (and all my RENIX XJ's have mechanical speedos.)

Does the code give you any more detail?
5-90

In Chryslerese, Code 15 is the speed/distance sensor on the transfer case. The CPS is code 11. The cam position sensor is code 54. I'd start with the wiring connection, and if that's all right, it sounds like the sensor itself.

Ok, so code 15 is for the t-case speed sensor? Well, if it's like all of my other vehicles, that feeds the speedo as well, and I've had NO problems with my speedo. So, with that in mind, does anyone have any other ideas what could trip these two codes?

If it's the vehicle speed sensor, check the locations I gave you. If it's undercar, for 2WD it's on the transmission tailshaft, on 4WD it will be on the tcase rear output. It's put on the tcase mainly because there's one more reduction gearset after the transmission (in the tcase) and the speedo would be WAY off in 4LO!

I think they'd mainly gotten to the electronic speedo as of 1991, so check down there first. If it's a mechanical cable, you'll have to go behind the IP to get to the thing...

5-90

Back