• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents and drip pans for them.

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a set of the labaron turbo model vents for the xj. I had erics website with the great write up and pics on that. I see he did a drip pan setup and thought about this myself. I did a search looking over 10 pages dating back over 2 years of finds on hoodvents and installs. Found some good writeups and pics. The one thing I haven't found is the drip pan install like erics setup.
I don't get to park the xj inthe garage cause I let the woman keep her jeep inside and I have too much other junk in there to fit mine. Welder scrap metal cutting saws tools tires. You know all the junk you use to make cool stuff for your rig. I Live in CO get alot of snow from time to time good bad weather the whole thing. Rain for days from time to time. Ok not often but it does happen. Thinking of what I can do for a drip pan. Or any of the guys that have the vents does it matter that much. This is still my DD aswell as not paid off yet and can't afford water electical problems really.
SO what are your thoughts and or links pics ideas.
I work for a fab co. so getting the matterial is not an issue.

Remember the chevy Z24's ? they have vents similar to the lebaron's only they have drip pans and a small hose to route water where you want it.
Other option is to mount the lebarons and then hit home depot, over by the floor registers and such they have magnetic sign material labled as 'register covers', use them.

I've got the Z-24 vents with out the drip pans. I placed them across the hood right behind the rad. I don't have any problems with water & they let out plenty of heat. JIM.

I am now a believer in the drip pans after I had some of this winter's rain seeping into my oil dip stick tube after coming thru the hood vents and I found water in my engine oil. I now have made my own drip pans to keep the water dripping down where I want it and not working its way into my oil pan. I live in the desert and rarely get rain, so I'd hate to see what it could do somewhere it really comes down.

Hi jdogg.

Making the drip pans is relatively simple but getting them to channel the water where I wanted was the real challenge. I think I've had the vents over 2 years now and I still use the drip pans for the street and remove them for trail rides. It takes about 2 minutes to remove since I use wing nuts.

i live in washington. it rains about everyday and the jeep sits in it. no problems so far.

edit: no drip pan

EricsXJ said:
Hi jdogg.

Making the drip pans is relatively simple but getting them to channel the water where I wanted was the real challenge. I think I've had the vents over 2 years now and I still use the drip pans for the street and remove them for trail rides. It takes about 2 minutes to remove since I use wing nuts.

I got to say I found alot of pics of the vents, but your site was one of only a few that had a good write up and great pics on how to do everything. I might try and knock them out this weekend. I didn't read the lower part that you made them removable and that was something I was intrested in big time. Road wise no problems with over heating, but it was the on the trail that I would want as much ventalation with the vents. I thought that the drip pans would hold back more air than I wanted them to, but with making them removable that shouldn't be a problem. I have some sheet metal that I can use, but I think I'll just start with the vents and then work around some ideas and see what I come up with.

well after I got off work I hit the scrap bins at work and go 4 good size sheets of galvanized (SP) I'm a bit drunk right now. Toooo much sawtooth tonight. I'll take pics tomarrow and showw you what I got. Might as well bust these out after I get the cutouts made for them. I can use the press at work to form the drip angles and whats not.

Back