• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust replacement information....A Success!!

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I just replaced from the cat, muffler, and tailpipe. Taking it in to have them put on the header to cat pipe, dont want to mess with the studs on the manifold........dont really have the facilities for that.

Advanced Auto Parts:

*Cat(OEM direct fit with 4 bolt flange) = $109 + tax
(cut 2" off the tail end of the cats pipe, no big deal, overall was 41 1/2" from cats flange face to the tail end of muffler pipe)

*Muffler (went with the cheap one) = $26 + tax
(Its alot more throaty, i would spend the extra $50 if i was to do it over)

*Tailpipe (OEM direct fit) = $16 + tax

*2 1/4" Clamps (2 of them) = $5 + tax

*3/8" - 16 x 1 1/2" with nuts, SS (4ea) = $5 + tax

Dealership:

*Header Pipe = $45 + tax

TOTAL: = $206 in parts
TAX: = $14.42
TOTAL with TAX included (Nebraska) = $220.22

Probably another $50 in labor to put the header pipe on at an exhaust shop.

All in all i saved about $150 doing it myself, the parts I replaced anyways.

I noticed a nice increase in low end or off the line power since the replacement, my cat was broken up and i had numerous leaks that developed over the last year or so. Probably will notice a bit more once the leaking header pipe is replaced this week.

Just thought I would put this info up for all who are scared to do the exhaust as I was initially. You guys convinced me that it was a simple task and I'll be darned, IT WAS!!! (for the parts i did anyways, manifold bolts still scare me!)

Will post an update after the header pipe is on.

Cory

Last edited:
The exhaust pipe price fries me. Advance wants $60 for a tailpipe for a shortbed Comanche ... and they sell the Cherokee tailpie for $16?

Doesn't make sense.

8msteam said:
when u put in a new exhust u have to weld it all up right?
Its a good idea to but most of the time you can get away with just clamping it.

The pieces are slip on fits with clamps, no welding. I figure i have read enough on here about how that is the way the factory put it on, so it should be good. Sealed up good, no leaks, Im happy.

The dealer had the tailpipe for $20, but would have taken a week to get in, just like the header down pipe, so i went with advanced, saved a couple bucks too.

Welding would be nice, but cost a bit more and i dont have access to a welder here, also dont feel comfortable welding with the components on the vehicle.

Cory

Last edited:
my local muffler guy will weld in a cat for $125. went to my local tire guy and they aid that was less than their COST on a cat. worked for 70k miles. sweet!

Back