• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New RE 5.5 kit already sagging.

buddha

NAXJA Forum User
Just has the rubicon 5.5 inch lift installed one week ago and the driver's side leaf pack has already sagged half and inch to an inch. Anyone else had these problems? Any suggestion on what I can do? Add spacer block? Add a leaf to stiffen it up?Ask for a new leaf pack. Apart from that feels great!!!

The first thing that comes to mind is that all spring packs settle a bit after installation -- so I've been told. The real question is, when first installed did your lift net a 5.5" gain, or did it net more so that it's now settling down to the advertised height?

I'm inclined to advise that you wait a few eeeks and drive it to see if the other side settles in to match. Then decide if it is at or close to the advertised height, or if it is significantly lower than what you thought you were buying.

You (or your installer) may have done this, but to be certain I'll also suggest that you loosen (not remove) the nuts at the front and rear leaf spring eyes, and those holding the shackles to the chassis. Bounce on the rear bumper a few times to get everything settled in, then re-tighten the nuts to the specified torque. This should be done either with the wheels on the ground, or with the rear axle supported level on equal height stands so the vehicle weight is supported by the springs.

Eagle said:

You (or your installer) may have done this, but to be certain I'll also suggest that you loosen (not remove) the nuts at the front and rear leaf spring eyes, and those holding the shackles to the chassis. Bounce on the rear bumper a few times to get everything settled in, then re-tighten the nuts to the specified torque. This should be done either with the wheels on the ground, or with the rear axle supported level on equal height stands so the vehicle weight is supported by the springs.

That was my problem when I first installed my lift. I torqued everyhting with it up on jack stands. I had the harshest ride, and stuff was quite uneven. I went back, loosened everything, bounced it for about 10 seconds on each corner, and torqued back down, what a difference it made. If you didn't do it, definitely go back and do it. BTW, my driver side spring is a BIT sagged(after 2 years...but it's just from me driving alone way too much :)

My passenger side is sagging. I have heard of the sagging springs and have been waiting to see what side will sag. I installed the lift back in Jan. 03. I've been tempted to swap with the Skyjacker 7.5 springs but I like my RE's ride.
Any ideas?

Joe

When I installed my RE leaves they were 1" taller than the advertised height, after a month of use, they "settled" down to the advertised height and have been there for the last 3+ years. I would definitely contact RE and discuss the issue, if for no other reason, to have a history documented so if this becomes a problem of one spring netting more lift than the other, RE will be more inclined to swap out the spring pack for a new one.
I'll also suggest that you loosen the frame and shackle spring mounting bolts with your Jeep sitting on the ground at static height, then retighten them to the proper torque. Run them for a month and see if things level out. If not, request a free replacement set. FWIW, my experience is that RE's springs ride and flex nicely.
Good luck and let us know how this plays out.

Back