• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is the 2.8 v6 worth having?

Roll-over

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I've got a chance at a '87 v6 XJ auto 4wd for $500. Body and interior are supposed to be cherry. It starts and run but "makes noise like it needs timing." so is the 2.8 worth owning? aside from VWs I haven't had much luck with small bore pistons.

I had an 82 S-10 with the 2.8L that went well over half a million miles [680,000] before I sold it. The conversion to the 3.4L is also an option. Personally other than the oil filter being a bitch to get at in the S-10 I had no problems with it.

Something's amiss.

The 2.8L V6 was used only from 1984 thru 1986. The 4.0L was introduced in the 1987 model year.

Either the XJ you're looking at isn't an 87, or it doesn't have a 2.8L V6.

Eagle said:
Something's amiss.

The 2.8L V6 was used only from 1984 thru 1986. The 4.0L was introduced in the 1987 model year.

Either the XJ you're looking at isn't an 87, or it doesn't have a 2.8L V6.

That may very well be... the heap is owned by a friend of an acquaintance and I have yet to see it... if it's the 4.0 i6 then sweet!

I've got one with 260,000 miles on it and the only thing wrong with it is both main seals leak, probably about a quart a week when I do drive it continuously. I have had problems with no spark, but I just take off the distributor cap, shake it, put it back on and it fires back up. It is not a very powerful engine, but it has survived my abuse.

never mind... cherry interior meant torn red seats; good body meant only rusted out where the metal is gouged; power everything (read: windows don't work); engine needs tuneup (read:less than 50psi on 3 cylindars).... nice rims though! :laugh3:

Back