• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best axle for 300,000 miles of wheelin!

What axle would you use for 300,000 miles money no object!

• DANA 35 Built to the hilt

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • DANA 44 Built to the hilt

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • FORD 8.8 ?????

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • FORD 9" ?????

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • DANA 60 shaved

Votes: 19 29.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryurabbit

NAXJA Member #611
What axle would you use if you wanted to wheel 300,000 miles without changing the axle. I know gears and bearings might wear out but just want the axle to last. I'm leaning towards front and rear 44's but considering front and rear 9". TIA:bunny:

Assuming you're sticking with the lift and tires you have now, I'd go with the Ford 8.8". If you go to bigger tires, maybe swap in a V8, then the answer has to change.

Loaded question... depends on your wheelin style, future tire size, budget & tolerance for disaster etc...

I have a low mile 44 under my XJ (20k on stock MJ housing/shafts/drum brakes, full spool, Spicer 4.56 gears) that I trust with 33" and I expect it to hang in there with 35-36" if I go there...I got spare shafts LOL

From scratch, I can see the wisdom of building a (shaved) HP60 or 9" Rear with disc brakes... and matching it up with a 44/9/60 front axle.

I have had good luck (that's all it is) wheeling D30s with 33" but ya know you have to be halfway easy with it and still plan for it's eventual failures. MattS built a sick 30, but he is also unafraid to fab & beef on his junk. The 5 on 4.5 BP thing is another consideration that makes doing a F&R swap at the same time inviting.

mbryson said:
14 bolt..........almost guaranteed to last that long.
amen.

Man, do you know how long it would take you to wheel and drive for 300,000 miles? :)

Any of the axles you choose other than the D35 should run the 300,000 miles without even a bearing or gear change if the fluid is always full and good. It really depends more on what tires you'll run. If you will end up with 35's or bigger and want it to be guarenteed to last, the D60 is the only choice. The 9" is a good option, but the axles aren't as stout as the D60.

I said 9" in the poll given the options, but the ultimate killer axle short of a 2 1/2 ton (which is just too damn big) would be a custom built Dynatrac 60 high pinion.
mattk

mbryson said:
14 bolt..........almost guaranteed to last that long.

i second that!

Thanx for all the help guys

I think i'll be ordering the D60 will look kinda funny with the d30 upfront but have to to this in stages. (just too much for one paycheck)!:bunny:

definatly not an 8.8. the driverside carrier bearings go bad on a regular basis.
I would build a big spline 44. they last a long time. I just htink a 60 is to damn heavy...

I didn't even look at the date... why the heck is it comming up at the top of my forum? WTF?

Rawbrown said:
I didn't even look at the date... why the heck is it comming up at the top of my forum? WTF?

Kejtar did it.

:)

hah no kidding

Rawbrown said:

I think the threads pop up to the top when someone votes in the poll. I could be wrong though. Anyone know how this Vbulletin handles that kinda thing?

who the hell voted then??? thats a way to screw things up.
ok this thread is done.

Goatman said:
Man, do you know how long it would take you to wheel and drive for 300,000 miles? :)

Any of the axles you choose other than the D35 should run the 300,000 miles without even a bearing or gear change if the fluid is always full and good. It really depends more on what tires you'll run. If you will end up with 35's or bigger and want it to be guarenteed to last, the D60 is the only choice. The 9" is a good option, but the axles aren't as stout as the D60.

Just sold an 87XJ w/ D35- over 300k on stock axle for $150. They can last.

Beat the living shit out of it. The three people that owed it before me did too. I can't say why it lasted, only that it did. The pukegoat tranny works great too. That is even more of a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back