• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Succesful Cluster Swap/tires?

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Did a cluster swap... 97 idiot lights -> 99 full gauge set - everything works perfect and my miles matched, 300 mile difference... just pluged them in and they worked... removed the hatch light because my hatch was closed and it stayed on, so that was the only thing...

finially having a tach is amazing... it's a light show at night!

any questions please let me know! It was amazing to see it just plug in and work - took 10 minutes...

Also, my friend Siddeeq came over with 31'' tires and we went to firestone and got one put on my spare tire so we could see if they fit, and they just fit, theres like less than an inch space all around... until i get a 2'' buget boost will I be able to drive? My car got seriously like 3 inches of lift of this - i had tiny stock tires and i'm going to get them put on this weekend... let me know if I should get my lift first... i'm getting a buget boost in a week or so, but i can't wait to put the tires on!!!

Congrats on the successfull gauge upgrade....it's always good to have better gauges....or to have ANY gauges at all. LOL I couldn't handle a vehicle with just the "idiot lights"...it would drive me crazy because I tend to be a habitual gauge watcher....at times.

As for your tires....I'd wait until after you get it lifted. You might end up ripping off your fender flares, bumper ends, or doing other body damage. Plus, you might even cut your new tires. Sometimes your suspension travels alot further than you'd think....even with "normal" driving. I'd wait the extra week or two if I were you.

Aron

Last edited:
ChandlerXJ said:
yeah im thinking i do that too... but im just so anxious... hey, is my fuel guage accurate now? or...?

I've replaced 4 gauge clusters in different XJ's and the fuel gauge was accurate on every one of them after the swap.
Aron

I did that same swap about a month ago! My god it is actually nice to see what is going on w/ my vehicle. Unfortunatly mine had 12k more miles on it but oh well. no big deal. Just put a note in the owner's manual and called it good. Now I just have to figure out if I actually want to get rid of the auto meter tack I have on the a- pillar or not. Had it there so long I like the way it looks.

As for the tires I would wait until you get the lift on. You don't want to bottom out and take a chance on cutting them up or worse blowing them out.

Ray

I also swapped the gauges on my 94 all of them seem to read correctly. Nothing better than gauges is what I always say. well I don't always say that, just when i talk about gauges....... Ok I've never said it before but its true. Joe

Sorry for the thread jack...I'm swapping my gauges now (own a '96, gauges from a '91), and need the new/differrent sending units. Lithia Jeep wants about $50 each for the oil pressure and coolant sensor. YOUCH!

Did you guys go new/dealer, new/aftermarket, or used? NAPA or Checker are both around $12 for coolant, and $25 for oil pressure senders.

Thanks, Steve

sloppyjoe said:
I also swapped the gauges on my 94 all of them seem to read correctly. Nothing better than gauges is what I always say. well I don't always say that, just when i talk about gauges....... Ok I've never said it before but its true. Joe

sloppyjoe.........LOL....did you get the LeBaron hood vents that I dropped off for you yet?

As for SteveT's question, I'd probably get the aftermarket ones if I were you.

Aron

ChandlerXJ said:
Did a cluster swap... 97 idiot lights -> 99 full gauge set - everything works perfect and my miles matched, 300 mile difference... just pluged them in and they worked... removed the hatch light because my hatch was closed and it stayed on, so that was the only thing...

finially having a tach is amazing... it's a light show at night!

any questions please let me know! It was amazing to see it just plug in and work - took 10 minutes...

Also, my friend Siddeeq came over with 31'' tires and we went to firestone and got one put on my spare tire so we could see if they fit, and they just fit, theres like less than an inch space all around... until i get a 2'' buget boost will I be able to drive? My car got seriously like 3 inches of lift of this - i had tiny stock tires and i'm going to get them put on this weekend... let me know if I should get my lift first... i'm getting a buget boost in a week or so, but i can't wait to put the tires on!!!

So did you just happpen to find a cluster that had about as many miles as yours then? Or did you do something else?

My 97 XJ had 70720 miles on it, the gauges I got have 3000 more... low mileage reguardless... driving around is distracting with a tach... although the huuuuge gas gauge moved just about as fast!!!

About a month ago a guy bought a set of LeBaron Hood Vents off of me and he also needed a full gauge cluster with a tach. So...I went to the junkyard and got him the cluster with the closest mileage to his. It came from the exact same year XJ and everything.

ARon

Back