• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle disconnect problems

Mudskipper

NAXJA Forum User
What does the vacuum disconnect look like? I have nothing coming from my axle housing except for a breather hose. The year is an 87 with a 242 tcase and the 4 lock light won't go out on the dashboard. With the rig in 2wd I turn the wheel and the front tires are chirpping. So I'm assuming it's still engaged.

With the 242 transfer case, there is no vacuum disconnect on the front axle. If there was, you would find a device bolted to the back of the axle on the passenger side, right under the oil filter, with vacuum tubing (3 colours on mine) going to the device. For best shifting in and out of 4wd, the 242 likes same sized tires at the same pressure, going in a straight line, and you may have to be rolling and in neutral. Mine shifts great, no hassles yet. My older jeep with the 231 isn't so picky, but I sure like the full time option on the 242 for winter roads.

Back