• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using a 231 skid with a 242 t-case?

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a skid from a 231 case laying around my garage. I have a 242 in my Heep. Can I safely use the 231 skid? I understand that a 242 skid hangs about an inch lower under the t-case itself, will I encounter any problems using it? Will the difference cause it to be ineffective if I hit a large rock?
Thanks,
Bryan

Is it the Mopar skid? If so, it'll work. I have one for my 242. I may be wrong, but I believe they only made one t-case skid for XJs.

Log off, get greasy, find out.

Seriously, having a free part you can hold in place and check out is as good as it gets. I figure if the holes line up, and it isn't pressed against the bottom of the xfercase, bolt it in. It's more effective than nothing.

There are two different skids. Ive got a 231 and bought the 242 skid by accident before I realized there was a difference. The 242 skid has a step in it that makes it about .75 to 1" lower than the 231 skid.
Bryan, If it doesnt work, let me know and maybe we can trade skids.

Ray H said:
There are two different skids. Ive got a 231 and bought the 242 skid by accident before I realized there was a difference. The 242 skid has a step in it that makes it about .75 to 1" lower than the 231 skid.
Didn't know that, but it's good to know. When I ordered mine, I wasn't even asked which I had and my old parts guide doesn't show two numbers. Live and learn.

3XJFamily said:
Log off, get greasy, find out.

Seriously, having a free part you can hold in place and check out is as good as it gets. I figure if the holes line up, and it isn't pressed against the bottom of the xfercase, bolt it in. It's more effective than nothing.

I already checked the skid for fit. It does fit, but it only has about 1/4 to 1/2" of clearance btw the tcase and skid. I was wondering if it would just crush down and be useless with this amount of clearance. I figured there had to be a reason that there were two models of skid plates. The 242 skid hangs about an 1" lower than the tcase, so I wondered how much difference it would make to use the tighter fit one. I should have mentioned it in my first post.
Ray--We may do that, if the 231 is to close to be effective. I would prefer the 231 skid since it doesn't hang as low. I will let you know.

Run what ya got.

Quote from one of the TJ guys after last weekends run "my T. case skid was rainbowed bad enough that it turned my transfer case up and gave me crazy vibes. . ." Point is the skid was effective because it dispersed impact and he didn't break the case, even though it was pushed into it. . . I doubt a half inch more of air would have made a difference.

Back