• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end noise question

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
The best way to describe it would be a metallic clanking (driver side) that increases as I speed up, and continues when I'm out of gear, clutch disengaged, just rolling from 10+ MPH. Hard to tell if it's happening on the highway with wind/motor noise, but seems that after a bit of driving the noise ceases. 6 months ago, replaced coils (lift), axle U joints, all 4 ball joints and had her aligned. This seems to have just started, or could be because the windows are open and I'm just hearing it now. Any ideas? I replaced the hub bearing on the driver's side with a used one I bought on here, because I banged up my original in taking it off. My original had 160K+ on it anyway, not sure how many the replacement had. I wouldn't think those bearings would make a noise like this: "clank, clank, clank clank." You get the picture...thanks!

87 MJ 2.5/AX5/NP231

It's hard to tell...but initially I was thinking "axle joint"...I've had the noises from these "come and go" at times. But...since you've replaced it already...I'm not sure. Was it a greasable joint that you put in it? If it has a zerk on it you might try giving it a shot of grease. I'd take a couple of narrow prybars and check out the play in the axle joint.....before I decided to pull it out to check it.

You can also check your ball joints in the same manner....or by doing it the "easy" way and grabbing the tire, with it in the air, and giving it a few tugs in all the right places. I've seen a few new u-joint failures but they are pretty rare, as long as they have the correct needles and grease in them they're usually fine. I have broke some new u-joints though :D .... but they were totally my fault!

I've seen several of my "buddies" put in new ball joints and forget to grease them!.....It wasn't me...I swear. Anyways..they figured this out very quickly from the extreme "POPPING" and "bottoming out" feeling/noise that you get with when hitting bumps with ungreased ball joints. LOL
Aron

Last edited:
I actually did grease up the axle U joints about a week before I noticed the noise. I don't know how long it's been going on, since I've only had the windows open about a week now. It's not brakes, when I apply them, nothing changes. When I actuate 4wd, no change either. I'm thinking either hub unit bearing or that bearing at the end of the axle shaft. Anyone actually had to replace that bearing?

Back