• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf pack bolts

dakotus

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a set of rear leaf packs for my XJ. When I received them yesterday, one of the bolts holding the pack together looks like it sheared off somehow in transit.

Take a look at this picture and let me know how far up the creek I am, and what you think I should do about it.

img2728large2fz.jpg

dakotus said:
I bought a set of rear leaf packs for my XJ. When I received them yesterday, one of the bolts holding the pack together looks like it sheared off somehow in transit.

Take a look at this picture and let me know how far up the creek I am, and what you think I should do about it.

img2728large2fz.jpg
I would put that bracket back on and have someone tack it (weld it) onto that bolt.

That's not a bolt -- it's a rivet. If you have a commercial spring shop anywhere near you, take it to them and have them replace the rivet. If you don't have access to a spring shop, I guess a weld would be the next best. I would not weld the bracket directly. I suggest putting the bracket in place, putting a heavy pattern washer over the broken end, and welding the ID of the washer to the end of the rivet.

If you bought those springs new, I'd contact the seller about replacement rivets.

Like Eagle says, I'd expect a spring shop to have replacement rivets. You'll probably have to disassemble the pack to replace the rivet though.

ChiXJeff said:
If you bought those springs new, I'd contact the seller about replacement rivets.

Like Eagle says, I'd expect a spring shop to have replacement rivets. You'll probably have to disassemble the pack to replace the rivet though.
True.

Back