• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG KO's width poll

BFG 33's width?

• Total voters

XJhammer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about getting the BFG KO's to replace my MT/R's and am wondering about the tread width.

I'm thinking About the 33X10.50's, but all my TJ buddies run the 33X12.50's Worth it? I'll put it to a vote.

I say it depends on your wheels. If you are running stock rims, go with the 10.50, if you have or are getting aftermarket rims, with the right offset, get the 12.50.

I just got a set of 33 x 10.50 x 15 Mud Terrain KMs mounted today. I went with that size to go with my stock rims. I went with the KM's because they seem like the best combination of off and on road performance and durability.

Have you considered a 285/75/16? It's slightly wider than the 10.50 you are considering. They measure out to a 33x11.00. I understand they work pretty well on our Cherokee's. I'm pretty sure you can get BFG or GY's in that flavor. That is my end goal...some day!
HTH

I have run both 12.5" and 10.5".
I can only think of three or four times when I wished I had the wider tire (but I avoid gumbo mud) and I was often glad I had the better road manners and better turning radius of the 10.5" tires.

Motornoggin said:
I say it depends on your wheels. If you are running stock rims, go with the 10.50, if you have or are getting aftermarket rims, with the right offset, get the 12.50.

I agree with Motornoggin on this. I just threw a set of 31"x11"x15" Super Swamper Thornbirds onto a set of factory steel spokes 3 days ago. They should have been really close to fitting. BUT.....I found that even though the Swamper Thornbirds say they're only 11" wide....they're actually closer to 13" wide if you measure from the outer-most lug to the other side's outer-most lug !

So wheel choice and TIRE choice can both make a pretty good difference in this instance. I'd forgotten about that because I personally don't like Thornbirds and I just picked them up in a trade. I have owned them in the past though.

Anyways....long story short....they HIT on the rear leaf springs. About a 1/4" to 3/8" of the lug was hitting the leaf. It was enough to not be able to drive it without a set of 1" or 1-1/2" spacers on the rear or without changing out the stock wheels. I took them off the next day and threw on some aluminum stockers and sold the XJ they were on anyways...LOL
Aron

Hey man I know I voted fo rthe MT/R, but the other weekend, my TA/KO's grabbed as well as Kenneths Krawlers, not saying there equal, but there still a hell of a nice tire on the slick rock.

I run the 33 12.50 bfgs on an 8 inch wheel, I like the width, it helps slide the wheel past the rocks and holds the bead better.

I have the right rims 15x10 with 4" of backspace if I recall correctly so that isn't an issue as they clear the 32x11.50 MT/R's right now.

I mostly wheel on dry ground and Moab with occasional times in the mud. I just want to know if the 33x10.50's will hook up as well as the 32x11.50's that I have now. Are there any sidwall flex issues that i should know about?

No use in taking a step back if you know what i mean...

If you have 10" rims then you don't want to use 10" wide tires. They won't hold the bead well.

For off road use your wheel should not be any wider than your tread width.

Chris S said:
If you have 10" rims then you don't want to use 10" wide tires. They won't hold the bead well.

For off road use your wheel should not be any wider than your tread width.

x2 with those wheels, get the 12.5

I say sell the tires/wheels as a set and get some 16x8's and run 285's. Perfect tire for the XJ wheelwell with 6" lift, IMO.
I dig em.

Back