• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency phone call...

Lawn Cher'

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a ring from JPinSTL, a fellow NAXJA member. He is stuck in Paducah, KY with his '87 4.0 MJ that had been running fine but just sputtered & died. Cranks strong, fuel pump is pumping. Sounds like CPS? TPS? I've been very lucky with my fleet, so I don't have the experience to troubleshoot off the top of my head.

Neutral safety Switch? I'd also wiggle some of the wiring plug-ins that are located right above and around the throttle body and the injectors. I've seen 3 or more examples of this wiring messing up and you can get them re-started by wiggling....unplugging and plugging them in. I recently bought a Jeep that a guy couldn't get running and I wiggled these wires and BAM...it started right up after some new plugs, he'd flooded the others badly.
Just a few "quick checks".

If he's up fairly close to Indiana....I could maybe make a road trip and help him try and diagnose it if necessary. I'm like 2-1/2 hours from the KY line..... Where is Paducah?
Aron

Not the NSS, this is a manual tranny, I forgot to mention that. He has AAA, and his dad is gonna come get him from TN if all else fails. JP was headed down there to help his dad move back to the STL area and was just gonna tow the MJ behind the moving truck anyway, so it isn't too terrible of a situation.

CPS. That would cause it to die like that. One of the rigs running back from NAC Fest last year had that happen and the symptoms are identical. Should be about $90 for the part from the stealership. Don't think NAPA, VatoZone or any others had them, IIRC.

HTH

Urban Redneck said:
CPS. That would cause it to die like that. One of the rigs running back from NAC Fest last year had that happen and the symptoms are identical. Should be about $90 for the part from the stealership. Don't think NAPA, VatoZone or any others had them, IIRC.

HTH

That's what we thought... thanks Tom! I'll relay the information.

Urban Redneck said:

HTH

Tom, I might be wildly hallucinating, but I thought he got a CPS from an AutoZone, along with the long socket extension to replace it.

In any event, that sounds like a CPS failure to me.

I had my CPS wire come in contact with the exhaust, and melt the covering on it. Everytime it hit the exhaust again, it would sputter and die. Then if the wire would move away, truck would fire right up again. Took forever to find out that is what happened. Found it by dumb luck, I was wiggling connectors to check for tight fits, and caused the wire to hit the exhaust. Replaced it, and zip tied the wire down, all fixed.

It sounds like the cps to me also, by the way there is an autozone in paducah by the big park next to all the restaraunts. The cps was about 40 bucks last time I got one.

Hey, a feller Kentuckian. GIT-R-DONE!! Not far from you. Paducah is way out in Western KY, for the naxja dude that wanted to know.

ren, you goin' wheelin' anywhere this weekend? Come over to the offroad park in Lewis County, KY. Good to hear from a close naxja person. :wave:

Back