• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking doors off a 2000XJ..disconnect wiring?

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
I stoped to come in here and ask you all a question. Im in the process of taking off my doors. I'm trying to decide the best way to disconnect the wiring. I searched the forums, but all I came up with was people discussing the hindges. I know I shouldn't cut the wires, and that was what I was getting ready to do. If anyone could give me some advice, It would be greatly apprieciated. How do I disconnect the wirering to doors? thanx.

Brian

There is a harness for everything behind the plastic kick panel (you'll have to remove 3-4 screws). Unplug the connectors and feed them out through the A pillar and you're done. IIRC there are 3 if you have power windows (1 for the power windows/locks/mirrors, 1 for the speaker, and 1 for the door chime/dome light). Good luck.

hinges02.jpg

That is pretty sweet. Did you disconnect the wiring to get slack - or is there enough slack there already?

cbremer...that was a good idea of using the different style pins on the hinges. Did you still cut half of the hinge off? Can I ask why you didn't just use the factory door pin?

93jxj...I'm pretty sure there would have been enough room on mine to do that. I just chose to leave off the kick panel. Neat idea though so at least the inside remains stock looking and there's not the hassle of taking of the panel each time.

Going wheeling tomorrow. Got doors off. i'll post pics. Thanx for help, it was under the kick panel (EASY). Im in the process of building alternator shield and breathing box so that water stays off the alt, and air stays in. I figure at low speeds, having a decent size breather connected to the box around alt, will supply plenty of air for it to breath. On the road, I will simply disable it, just like my snorkel. Best of both worlds is my goal.

Brian

Did you cut the hinge in half? You think they will be easy to put back on? I want to do this on my 98.-----Kyle

I noticed that the upper hinge weld on drivers side was coming loose. So I initially removed the door to get in and re-weld that spot. Then I figured I'd do the mod. I cut the hinges in half like most talk about. Also replaced those stupid Torx bolts. The factory pins busted in half but they were still long enough to be re-used. Personally, I thought it was a PITA to get the doors back on. I don't know what I do wrong when I remove them but I had to loosen the hinge again to get it back on. Haven't tried it again. I really don't care too much about the doors being able to came off. I have too much fishing gear inside that could be stolen.

Back