• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok to install used gears?

Puma297

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I am currently building up a HP30 to go in my ZJ. I plan on running 4.56's and a true-track. I am just curious as to he problems of installing used gears instead of new ones. Since I'm on a college budget I'm trying to build it up somewhat cheaply but I don't want to cut corners and it cause me a busted R&P.

I know that when gears are set up they have to wear in but is it true that if I dont set up the gears within 0.001 of how they were set originally I am going to have a howling front end?

XJhammer said:
New gears would be cheaper at that point....
They come with a warranty also. My brother blew two sets of 4.56's in his TJ because the shop didn't set them right. I told him it was because he drove a TJ.

I installed used 4.56's in my front D30 with a detroit true trac (new). The shop that did the work and had the gears was very reputable, so I went with it. It saved me $100 and I didn't have to break them in. I guess hearing from others I was lucky, but I'd do it again if it saved $$ and break in time.

I've run used gears for years. They can be ticky to set up and tend to be more noisy, but they are a viable option, especially if you set them up yourself so you don't have so much money in setup.

you are pretty certain to get some noise with used gears. whether they break or not, as well as how much noise they make is determined by how much time is taken in setup. you might ask some local shops about if they would charge more for installing used gears. i put a set of 4.10 used in my front, and setup took around 6 or 7 hours for everything. it's kinda hard to describe here, but the wear pattern just doesn't "like" it's new diff, and it takes longer to get it right. :)

Back