• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's the necessary thermostat?

OLEAJE

NAXJA Forum User
If I am in a tropical county like Venezuela:
Can I eliminate the thermostat???
We haven't winter here, all time is summer!!!!
I think that we can go out the thermostat without problems, many people here have done it!!! and the Cherokee is less hot.
CHEROKEE XJ 1998 4.0L AW4

OLEAJE

The engine controls NEED the engine to operate at 190F. Below that the engine stays in cold loop and runs very very rich which can damage the catalytic converter and cause excessive carbon build up. If the cooling system is maintained, flushed every year or two and kept up it will have no problems with overheating or running hot. If it does run hot there is something wrong.

You get better performance, better gas mileage, and better engine life when the engine is running at its optimal temperature. The thermostat ensures that the engine warms up completely and quickly. If the cooling system is operating correctly, the thermostat will NOT cause the engine to run warmer than it should. You do neither yourself nor your engine any favors by running without a thermostat, or by running with a thermostat rated at too low of a temperature.

For an XJ, unless you have made some MAJOR engine modifications, you need AT LEAST a 180° F thermostat! The stock 195° thermostat is better.

You do not want to run without a thermostator or at least a restrictor plate. You need a restriction in the cooling system, otherwise the water/coolant flows too fast and doesn't cool. Also water cools better than a water/coolant mixture..CAUTION - You NEED to run a rust inhibitor if you only run water. If you run a coolant mixture there are rust inhibitors in there .

Back