• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ guage cluster swap

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
disclaimer: ive searched and all the info ive found on this is for older models.

i have a 97 XJ with the idiot lights. i want to swap in some mechanical guages. can i just pull my current cluster and plug in the new one with mechanical guages? is it that simple??

never been done before....hmm...

You can use either XJ or TJ gauge panels, I have a TJ one in my 98 out of a 97, cost me about $40 from a guy on BMJA. Took about an hour. Straight swap, only difference was in the 'low fluid' and 'security' lights. They were reversed so seeing as how I had no security systems installed it lit the 'low fluid' light [washer fluid]. I pulled it back out and compared the idiot and gauge cluster and noted the difference, removed the low fluid bulb and now when my washer fluid gets low the security light comes on...
Disconnect battery
Remove center bezel
Start removing trim
Remove 6 or 8 bolts holding the panel in
Remove panel
Install new panel [self docking plugs but be gentle, don't want to bend any pins]
Tighten down
Reconnect battery
Recline seat all the way back to horizontal*
Put key in, start it up, count to 10 and raise the seat back
Observe gauges.
*If the airbag pops for some unknown reason I'd rather it went over me than smack me in the kisser... :laugh3: Hey, I'm cautious around things that shoot.

lol. thanks!! thats the info i was lookin for!

Mileage is stored in two places, ECU and the gauge cluster, by default they don't 'synch', the chrysler scan tool can do it in about 10 seconds once you page down through the menus, took me about 20 min to find it last time I had one to play with. I think the options were cluster>ecu or ecu>cluster or manually enter the mileage in the ecu and push it to the cluster, it's around the same area as entering the vin like when you replace the ecu and with a new blank one.

As for the swapped washer/security light issue - wouldn't that be a fairly simple thing to swap by tracing the wiring on the back of the cluster and clipping/swapping the two traces or connector wires? Seems like a 5 minute job if you can solder decently well, though you may just not care enough to bother.

Back