• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

180 degree t-stat/high flow water pump too cool?

corbinafly

"Mmmm. More please."
Just wondering what your thoughts are on using this combo. Does it prevent the engine from running in closed loop sometimes? I've read in the past that 177 degrees is when the ecu switches from open to closed loop mode. That would seem a bit too close to 180 for my comfort. On a cool/cold day, could this combo cause the ecu to bounce between open and closed loop mode?

By the way, I'm talking about a 95 4.6L stroker, just in case that matters.

Thanks for your thoughts....

Ive never read or heard of 177 being the magic number, but if it is, you are right about it being to close for comfort.
My stroker is going in this weekend and from all the info i could find here, i want a cooler motor to prevent spark knock on a lower octane fuel.I decidewd on the 3 row from CSF.It will be going in at the same time

I think it is too cold and is not good for the engine overall either. Running a big risk on always staying in open loop mode as you say. I fitted mine with a Robert Shaw high flow 195* one. They are also sold under the Mr Gasket brand #4365. Works really well with the Hesco high flow water pump and housing.

I'm going in Go Jeeps direction. I have the Mr. Gasket Thermostat and the Hesco housing. I'm using roller rockers so I had to get their spacer too. You can also use a Robert Shaw theromostat. They are high flow and the Mr. Gasket maybe just a repackaged one, but don't quote me on that. A 180 degree thermostat won't prevent you from heating up to 220. I will keep your engine cooler initially for a short time. My thoughts are they are good for drag strip use, where you run a 1/4 mile. Now if you live in a cooler climate, during the winter your engine might not get hot enough. This can be a problem if your oil doen't get hot enough. It won't cook of the water in the oil. This can make the oil gell. I've seen it once. THe oil pan, on a Chevy I think, was full of oil goop.
Tom

If the rest of your cooling system is working properly, it should make very little difference. I have a 99 w/a 4.6 stroker, ran a 180* for the past year, and typically the temp was at 185*, 195* in town on a hot summer day. I switched to the stock 190*, and now sit at 195*, 205* in the heat....

I run a 180* robert shaw on my 4.0L and a flowkooler pump. I thought these would solve overheating problems that ended up being caused by clogged rad and bad fan clutch. They did't solve anything until I fixed the core problems. The water pump was a waste of $220. It does run consistently at about 180-185*, which in hindsight, is too low. I will put in the 195* Robert Shaw when I'm motivated.

I also have the combination of Robertshaw 180* t'stat and Flowkooler water pump on my 4.6 stroker. Since the rest of my cooling system is in excellent shape (including the 13-year-old radiator), the gauge stays just above the 1/4 mark on the highway when the outside temp. is less than 100*F and rises to 3/8 when it's 115*F.
I'm very happy with that. The changeover point from open loop to closed is at about 160*F so you won't have any issues with a 180* t'stat.

xj-grin said:
If the rest of your cooling system is working properly, it should make very little difference. I have a 99 w/a 4.6 stroker, ran a 180* for the past year, and typically the temp was at 185*, 195* in town on a hot summer day. I switched to the stock 190*, and now sit at 195*, 205* in the heat....

Wher did you get a 190deg thermostat? I've only seen 195 and 180deg stats. Around 190 is what Im looking for.

MachineMan said:
Wher did you get a 190deg thermostat? I've only seen 195 and 180deg stats. Around 190 is what Im looking for.

Sorry to tease you, its a 195*-- my bad... ;)

Just wonderin if I need #4365 or 4367 for a 1997 XJ if I wanna run a 180 degree one. Can't seem to find an application guide for these things.

Thayer said:
Just wonderin if I need #4365 or 4367 for a 1997 XJ if I wanna run a 180 degree one. Can't seem to find an application guide for these things.
If you go with a Robert Shaw (they're pretty stout t-stats), it's #330 and you pick the degrees. Here's the link: www.flowkooler.com. I think summit racing sells them too.

STAY AT 195*. This topic has been discussed, and that's all I need to say. Good luck, Robert Shaw balanced thermos are great.

I also run a 180* t-stat. I've had no negative issues, and still get 12-14 mpg IN TOWN with 35s! :wave: It stays around 185-190* except on a long uphill grade when it MAY hit 210*.

Back