• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire choice? Casual offroader.

firefighterwannabe

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the market for getting new tires and wheels. But I can't decided on what tires to get, I'm looking for something around 265/70/r16 maybe even a bit bigger with 275/70/r16. Whats the pros/cons between the 15 inch rim and the 16 inch rim. I can't decided between Nitto Terra Grapler, BFG A/T, or the Goodyear Wrangler A/T. Sorry to ask so many questions but this is a big desion for me and I just need some other opinons.
Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Terra Grappler, never ever saw one anywhere, but the BFG AT/KO is a very good tire. IMHO I like the Cooper Discoverer -- cheaper than the BFG, seems to work as well, gets good tread life, and it's an American company (BFG is owned by Michelin these days).

another tire you might wanna check out is the firestone destination a/t revos...i had them in a 235/75/15 and was VERY impressed onroad and off....i also just went from 31x10.5/15's to 265/75/16's (32x10.5) the only real difference i noticed was a stiffer side wall.
trevor

hoytinak said:
another tire you might wanna check out is the firestone destination a/t revos...i had them in a 235/75/15 and was VERY impressed onroad and off....i also just went from 31x10.5/15's to 265/75/16's (32x10.5) the only real difference i noticed was a stiffer side wall.
trevor

Don't you mean the Dueler A/T Revos?

bfg at's for more DD

SS trxus for a little more offroad fun

Talyn said:
Don't you mean the Dueler A/T Revos?

yeah that's it...my bad, i was drinking last night when i wrote that...lol

Are you buying new rims and tires? If so I would stick with a 15" rim. Going with 16" just makes it more expensive, both rims and tires. A nice AT tire that I ran when on 30x9.50 was the Mickey Thompson Baja MTX. They road very well, and had good wet and snow traction.

Greg

I have put about 1500 miles on my 30x9.5 BFG T/A KO's and I love them. $476 all said and done for 4 out the door. Quite a bit stiffer than the goodyears that came on it, but much much better traction. Louder than I expected, but that's what 200 watt stereos are for. :)

No rubbing at all with 30x9.5 on ZJ canyons on an '01 BTW.

I've always had good luck wit BFG A.T. tires. They wear pretty good, and if you air them down they get pretty impressive traction in the mud. Not too expensive either.

I love My BFG T/A KO's, got them on my Jeep as well as the Tow Rig. I do well negotiating by using the price from tirerack.com and getting Discount against NTB to outbid each other.

I ran Coopers years ago and liked them.

15's are cheaper, and (as I learned) if you are out in the sticks 500 miles from home, shred a tire (or 2), it is a LOT easier to find a compatible 15" tire to slap on to get you home than a 16" or 17"

Anyone got experience with the Kumho AT's ? They run about $40 less per tire than the BFGs, the reviews look good. . . I'm considering these as an option for my daughters XJ. . .

Cooper Discoverer LT's ALL THE WAY!!!!! I been running Coopers for over 15 years on street machines and offroad and have had NO problem with them. Iam now running the BFG at/ko's and like the Coopers better. When the BFG's wear out Iam going back to the Coopers.
Only problem is they dont sell a roadhazard, but I have never needed it.

i have the BFG ats and love them. Had Goodyear MT before, and it made a huge difference, in comfort, gas mileage and noise when i went to the BFG. Theyve been real good offroad as well.

MontanaXJ said:
Are you buying new rims and tires? If so I would stick with a 15" rim. Going with 16" just makes it more expensive, both rims and tires.

yup

and from another post:
XJ_ranger said:
opinions - everyone's got them...

tire "do you like them" threads are commonly inconclusive, and a lot of speculation and "my buddy likes them" type of posts...

if you like a tire and drive your jeep on the street - then you'll be getting new ones in bout 2 years anyway - so i think that you need to make a decision and buy whatever tires you want -

ill bet that after this thread is 3 days old you wont be any closer or any more informed than your research on "google" or "yahoo" will show you...

however
good luck - i wish you the best
-Ranger

I used to have Dayton Timberline A/T on my Jeep and I thought they did very well for an all terrain and their tread were was exselent.

firefighterwannabe said:
Im in the market for getting new tires and wheels. But I can't decided on what tires to get, I'm looking for something around 265/70/r16 maybe even a bit bigger with 275/70/r16. Whats the pros/cons between the 15 inch rim and the 16 inch rim. I can't decided between Nitto Terra Grapler, BFG A/T, or the Goodyear Wrangler A/T. Sorry to ask so many questions but this is a big desion for me and I just need some other opinons.
Thanks

What does casual offroader mean? You'll be driving on fire roads occasionally or doing something that actually requires airing down, though rarely? For the first scenario the Dueller Revos are great tires. If its you daily drive and you'll only be hitting dirt roads and even occasionally slightly harder stuff you will be very happy. I was very happy with mine in 12 inches of new snow on our '97 landcruiser as well.

If you want something more aggressive, than consider the bfg A/Ts and Goodyear MTRs which not only kickass in rocks, but are also a very good all-terrain tire, though they wear faster than less aggressive all-terrains.

Back