• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to find a driveshaft support bearing/carrier?

sweetjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am in need of a driveshaft support bearing and carrier.

I did a search on the net and I couldn't really come up with anywhere that they list a generic supply of bearings/carriers. I found a lot of specific stuff, mostly for BMW's and Volvo's. None of them are transferable to my use though.

I found that at least Federal make a variety of them but they don't list their dimensions/descriptions on their website.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Morgan

Where are you located? There are several NAPAs and driveshaft shops around here (and most halfway major towns) that can set you up with exactly what you're looking for.

Jim,

I'm in Mass. I keep forgetting to update my profile.. I do have a NAPA somewhat nearby, I just didn't think that this would be an off the shelf item for many parts stores.

I don't know about a driveshaft shop around me though.. but certinally a NAPA.

Thanks!
Morgan

I don't think NAPA is the answer. Those are used primarily uin trucks, which have longer driveshafts (although Hudson cars used to use 2-piece driveshafts -- trivia item for the day). I think you need to go to a driveshaft shop. Here in CT we used to have Connecticut Driveshaft Co., which has now been absorbed by a bigger outfit called Fleet Pride. They may be near you, as well.

Call Jess at High Angle Driveline.

He makes two piece drivelines, so I'm sure he can set you up with whatever you need.

HTH

My two piece front shaft in my last YJ was a Tom Woods unit. It was nice and beefy. My rear shaft was a High Angle Driveline unit. Both were beefy and either company will set you up right.

SewerBoss said:
My two piece front shaft in my last YJ was a Tom Woods unit. It was nice and beefy. My rear shaft was a High Angle Driveline unit. Both were beefy and either company will set you up right.
Different animal, if I understood the question correctly. He's looking for a "pillow block" that supports the center yoke of a long driveshaft setup that is essentially two driveshafts with a u-joint or double cardan joint in the middle. It has to run through a pillow block to keep it from just flopping around.

It's a bit more than a driveshaft with the slip joint in the shaft, which is what the front driveshafts on the XJ are.

Eagle said:
Different animal, if I understood the question correctly. He's looking for a "pillow block" that supports the center yoke of a long driveshaft setup that is essentially two driveshafts with a u-joint or double cardan joint in the middle. It has to run through a pillow block to keep it from just flopping around.

It's a bit more than a driveshaft with the slip joint in the shaft, which is what the front driveshafts on the XJ are.

Yeah, I understand what he is talking about. I had to have one to clear the transmission pan when using a Dana 300 behind a 4L60E.

1110222145_img_0008.jpg

1110222227_img_0009.jpg

1110222389_img_0010.jpg

1110222631_img_0012.jpg

sweetjeep said:
Jim,

I'm in Mass. I keep forgetting to update my profile.. I do have a NAPA somewhat nearby, I just didn't think that this would be an off the shelf item for many parts stores.
A lot of that depends on the store apparently. When I *ahem* lost the needle bearings in my SYE and needed a replacement, one of the local stores could have ordered a replacement since it was simply a Spicer part, but the turnaround time was too long. Local driveshaft shop didn't have it either but luckily they had a branch in Denver that had what I needed....and charged accordingly.

So NAPA does have access to a lot of the Spicer stuff including pillow blocks, but you're relying on their counter guys to be able to dig the right parts book out.

Hit yp.yahoo.com and put your ZIP code in for location and search for 'driveshaft' or 'driveline' and I bet you'll be surprised.

The 74 Dodge D-100 I had ,had this bearing . You might try a DCX dealer ?
Wayne

Sorry to be ignoing my own post here!! ;)

Swere Boss is on the money.

I will soon have a looooooong drive shaft. The angle would be crappy for a 1 piece and the weight would be too much for the transfer case output bearing. So I want to run a 2 piece (as in the pictures) and support the first piece with the bearing.

I was hoping to ballpark the bearing source to make sure I could easily get a bearing (a REPLACEABLE bearing) that would suit my needs.

I doubt a generic part off another vehicle will work (but thanks for the suggestions) because the bearing has to be fitted to the driveshaft. Though, frankly, it didn't occur to me to just have the shaft mfgr (probably HAD) source the bearing for me.

7 1/2 ft bed 82 Chevy S10's usee them, they bolt up on top of the cross member.

Back