• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np 242 T Case Adapter To Th 350 ?????

jlake000

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled the motor and tranny out of my 87 cherokee to find a New Process model 242 Transfer case with 272 gears. I am puting in a 350 motor with the th 350 tranny and am wonering if this is a good t case to keep and use with the new 350 set up. If so who makes an adapter for this?

Give me a couple of days to work on this, and i hopefully can give you good news for junkyard shopping. It's my thing and what I like to do. Anyway, I am putting a Vortec 6.0 in my 88 limited with a t-350, and hopefully, my 242. I am going to see if the factory t350/700 adapter for the np 208 will work without any major trans. work . Like I said, junkyard style. Check back in a couple of days.

I wouldn't put a 242 behind a V-8, but then I wouldn't put a 242 behind anything at all given a choice. Some have good luck but mine have always blown up.

It looks like I'll be running with the np 205 t case i have, since i already have everything for it. Now the question is how much work it'll take to put the 1/2 ton fullsize chevy axles underneath my XJ.

My dad has a TH350 behind the 350 in his YJ. He is running a NP231 with an adapter to make it fit. I believe there is a chevy version of the NP231 used on trucks and blazers that fits on the TH350 without an adapter, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

i would think that a transfer case adapter from the th350 to the np241 or np208 because after looking at a 207 and a 241 it seems that the bolt patter is almost identical

This certainly helps to give me more options as far as what t cases i could possably run with in my XJ. I already have an NP205 t case I can use and so far what I have read up on for the np242 t cases isnt too reasuring. Thanx again everyone for the help. jlake000

Okay, this is what I have put together for the t-350/to whatever x-case. Chevy uses a 27 spline shaft on the t-350, so you can do several things: 1) use the chevy adapter, wich, by the way comes in different thicknesses, and chevy t-case 2) use the chevy np 208 adapter, jeep np231 t-case, and the input shaft from an s-10 np 231 3) use the t-350 with a cutdown 2wd main-shaft to fit the length of the s-10 adapter, and then use the s-10 t-case. this one is a little bit of a pain because gm never offered the t-350 in an s-10, but where I live s-10's are cheap, everywhere, and so are t-350 cores. The adapter for the s-10 is thicker than the normal adapter by almost two inches, and only uses FIVE studs to hang the case, not SIX, like everything else. The s-10 t-case is still an np 231 so all the goodies still fit: SYE, 2wdlow. But the Dodge 241 gear upgrade will not because of the input spline count, sooo pick your poison. ME, i will run the s-10 stuff until it blows, then get another for about 50-60 dollars, and do it again.

Back