• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At what height to put on SYE and CV D-shaft

fom_ska

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm a somewhat new XJ owner, I had a YJ for about 5 years or so and traded it in for an XJ (more family friendly), and would like to know how big I can go without doing an SYE. I had 4" on the YJ and went ahead and did one to help out the 4 banger, but now the XJ has 4.0 and no problem moving. Anyway, I have in between 3 and 4 inches and 32's right now and was looking at 4.5 to 5.5 coils and didn't know how much I could get away with before doing the SYE and CV d-shaft. Please let me know.

A lot of people will tell you to go with the SYE now. Does it have any vibrations at the height it's at now? Being a college student I'm limited on $ and I had my driveshaft lengthened and balance ($90) and my XJ sits a 6" now and it runs great. If I had the money I would go at a SYE after 4", hope this helps.

some people have and do run 4.5 lift with no SYE BUT my advise would be to go ahead and get it they are highly recommended for 4.5 lift and up

What year is the XJ? The 96+ is far more prone to vibes and will benefit from an SYE at lower heights than hte earlier ones. However, even with the early model an SYE has the benefit of sealing up that gaping hole in the tailcone if you have to pull the driveshaft, and you'll have more spline engagement in any case.

My XJ is a '90, Pioneer......want to go higher but don't have the $ to throw at the Jeep right now for a SYE and D-shaft. Any write-ups about homemade SYE's or anything. (I know with my YJ, I could switch to a TJ tailshaft cone and mainshaft and do it that way, didn't know if there were parts I could round up to somewhat do the same thing or if anyone has one for sale.

fom_ska said:
My XJ is a '90, Pioneer......want to go higher but don't have the $ to throw at the Jeep right now for a SYE and D-shaft. Any write-ups about homemade SYE's or anything. (I know with my YJ, I could switch to a TJ tailshaft cone and mainshaft and do it that way, didn't know if there were parts I could round up to somewhat do the same thing or if anyone has one for sale.

Depending on your axle/ tranny the D35 DS is longer than the 44 so you can get one from a 35 (if you have a 44) rig if possiable, and get yourself a YJ yoke for the TC and it will give you about 5/8 length over the XJ yoke + DS length and more room for slope on the DS. I am running with 4.5 and this combo and have no vibes and a normal amount of splines inside the tailshaft. This is working while I build my spare 231 with all the goodies.

Im running about 7.5" with no sye and shaft. I have looked into them but dont want to spend $500 on the kit. I did some research and found a cv shaft that has the slip yoke still at the tcase. This was only $295 so I will probably go with that one. I have got some vibes but they are at 10-20 no big deal, 65 is pretty smooth and that is with no shims. The website for the cv shaft is driveshaftsuperstore.com I believe. Good Luck

fom_ska said:
I believe that I have a D35 in the back.......will this still work?

The d35 is already the longest I believe if you have an Auto, I "think" the standard is longer but not sure. Best bet is to just measure and go look at the Salvage yards..The YJ yoke is a no brainer though if you plan on useing anything past 3" without a TC drop and keeping your angles correct with a stock slip yoke on pre 96 rigs. 96+ rigs have the higher angle yoke but then they are hurt by more of it sticking out unsupported and are more pron to vibes. With the stock slip yoke on pre 96 XJ's you only get about 15 Deg slope before you start hitting the ears of the shaft on the yoke and it will bind

if you despretly need to get this in without a sye and cv, go with a 1" TC drop, and YJ slip yoke. if thats not enough, get shims. I strongly suggets getting a sye though. Old_man has a home made one so pm him. you could get just the kit then use a stock xj front dshaft. try to avoid a tcase drop and shims...IMO

rock rash said:
try to avoid a tcase drop and shims...IMO

100% agree and you really need to go with a SYE it will help in SO many other ways. I an sick of the midnight DS replacements after banging the ^%$#@ out of my shaft at the pinion. My work around is Temp as should be yours but it CAN be done and still wheeled while saveing up for the right parts. As to the front DS I "Believe" the only combo this works with out of the box is useing Auto front DS in a manual and 8.25 combo.

any lift = SYE in my book...

im saving for mine...

ill need it soon enough...

So reading some of these post, I theoretically should be able to do a 5" lift, drop the t-case an inch, extend the driveshafts, and be OK (on an 88 XJ)? I don't really do antying hardcore, right now anyway, I'm sure that once I get a chunk of spare cash I would do a SYE + CV D-shaft, but for now I should be OK?

jeepinxj05 said:
I've got an NP242 on my '91 auto and wanna know if i can get a yj yoke?? I'm runnin close to five inches now

a YJ yoke doesnt help with spline engagement *much* , but the true advantage of a YJ yoke is the increased angle that the yoke provides...

yes - it will work for you - but dont expect it to fix your vibration problem...

Back