• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shut off on way home - cylinder misfires

Kyle96XJ02KJ

NAXJA Forum User
PO304 (cylinder 4 misfire) and a PO302 (cylinder 2 misfire)

I was just driving the cherokee home from state college the other weekend and it suddendly shut off and wouldn't start back up. In the months leading up to this, I randomly had problems where it would idle poorly like it wanted to stall unless i gave it gas. It did that real bad once 6 months ago and the weekend before this happened, at rausch creek, but seemed like if i let the jeep cool it would be better. It was running good on the way home but... died..

96 XJ 4.0 AW4, 160-170k miles.

What would you guys look for? I've replaced my distributer twice in the past year (blew up a new one in a rally), all plug wires , coil, CPS, etc new but I haven't touched the other sensors really. I only drive it about 5k miles a year and i'd say the last big mod was new exhaust (mike leach headers, etc).

It tries to turn over... just wont.. could my timing be off or something? My only other guess is that injectors 4 and 6 are clogged. I have 6 newer injectors in the garage perhaps i should try them? I can't tell you the temp my engine runs at because the guage hasn't worked the past 3 years. I had it 'suto-overheat' on a hot trail day with the a/c on 2 years ago too.

If you've had any similar symptons please help =) Thanks guys!

-kyle

Last edited:
Back