• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Additive for coolant...

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to completely overhaul my cooling system (new radiator, water pump, t-stat, hoses, etc). I know the green coolant can turn brown after a while and develop some pretty nasty sludge stuff. Is there something I can add to the coolant to help prevent this, or would I be better off just flushing the system more frequently and not using additives?

Should be draining and refilling the system on a yearly basis, I do mine between jun and sep whenever I get to it. I used a machine on it last year before we went to cape cod and I have all the stuff for it on the shelf now that I did not use last year. Actually for all 3 jeeps but since I had access to the machine I used that instead, want one for the house, darn things are Sooooo much neater to use, no spills, no burns, no messes. All I need is an extra $2K that I don't have anything to do with... :laugh3:

One thing that wasn't mentioned -
use DISTILLED WATER instead of tap water. Tap water will leech too many minerals into the radiator.

Back