• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel bearings

diabloxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have two that are gone. man they are alot 140$ each. has anyone replaced theirs? what ones did you get and where from.

diabloxj said:
i have two that are gone. man they are alot 140$ each. has anyone replaced theirs? what ones did you get and where from.

If you are talking about the unit hubs.......I ahve only had one in 4 xj's go out and that one I bought used here used in the classidieds for 40.00

what year rig?

diabloxj said:
94 both sides are gone. lots of play in the wheel

play in the steering wheel? if so it has nothing to do with the unit bearings you hve other issues. Have you jacked up the front tires off the ground and tried to wiggle the wheel and tire from top to bottom?

also check the ball joints...

they arent any cheaper - and you need 4 of them if they are bad...

I paid $50 each + labor for used ones for mine. I also don't recomend driving like this cause it can overheat your brakes.

XJ_ranger said:
also check the ball joints...

they arent any cheaper - and you need 4 of them if they are bad...

Ive never had to replace all 4 ever. they dont go bad al at once. I have erplaced 2 in all my years of xj running. and both on different rigs

yah i had my buddy he works at a shop and all he has are jeeps so he knows his shit. we jacked it up its not ball joints or TREs its the wheel bearings the time moves all over bad i should have seen it earlier

diabloxj said:
yah i had my buddy he works at a shop and all he has are jeeps so he knows his shit. we jacked it up its not ball joints or TREs its the wheel bearings the time moves all over bad i should have seen it earlier

the steering wheel or the actual wheel? you are not clear on your info. also I dont car if your friend works in a shop if he calls it wheel bearings he dont know his shit. and you can replace them in your driveway in about 1/2 an hour per side with simple had tools.

yes the wheel the tire the swamper. i know its easy to fix hes going to do it free so i can use the lift. and yes its not a wheel bearing it a hub assembly. i know i know all i want to know whats the best one for my money and where to get one.

diabloxj said:
yes the wheel the tire the swamper. i know its easy to fix hes going to do it free so i can use the lift. and yes its not a wheel bearing it a hub assembly. i know i know all i want to know whats the best one for my money and where to get one.

not much difference in cost or quality...like I said Id get used check in for sale here

I second used if you can find a good junkyard. Since it's not uncommon for a hub to last a couple of hundred thousand miles, a good used one could last the life of the vehicle. Make sure you get the correct ones. Earlier XJ's with cast rotors take a different hub from later ones with composite rotors, and later ones yet went back to cast. I think your 94 should have composite. You can confirm by looking at the outer edge of the rotor face that the wheel seats on ( I think of it as the top of the hat). Composites are slightly rounded, cast have a sharp edge.

You might be able, as xjnation suggests, to do it in a half hour with ordinary hand tools, but if the hubs are rusted on, it can be a real pain, and you'll also need a pretty big wrench to get the 36 mm. axle nuts off, so having a mechanic friend with a lift and experience is a very good thing.

Im leary when it comes to replacing old worn out parts with used parts from a junk yard. When i replace something, i figure i might as well spend the money and get it brand new that way you know its not going to fail for many years to come.

Anyways You can get them for around $100 a piece brand new from rockauto.com. 1 Hub/Bearing Assembly Shipped to my door was $104 and some odd change.

MudslinginXJ said:
Im leary when it comes to replacing old worn out parts with used parts from a junk yard. When i replace something, i figure i might as well spend the money and get it brand new that way you know its not going to fail for many years to come.

Anyways You can get them for around $100 a piece brand new from rockauto.com. 1 Hub/Bearing Assembly Shipped to my door was $104 and some odd change.

ok i just did mine on a 87 wagoneer about 138.00 each at autozone and petboys not hard just have a 13mm 12 point socket and a 36mm socket took me about 2 hour to do both of mine go new did a used one and had to replace it 30,000 later

I got the Timken one from Autozone for $140. works good so far i guess. I still have a noise, so maybe i shoulda replaced both instead of just one.

Back