• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lengthening a driveshaft

JeepinKrannyMan

NAXJA Forum User
I searched on this but couldn't find anything that suits my situation. I was wondering if anyone has ran a 6" lift with a lengthened driveshaft rather than a SYE. I have a local machine shop that will lengthen and balance it for under $100. I thought it would be worth trying that out before spending considerably more on the hack and tap or HD SYE. My transfer case is dropped an inch and the rear is shimmed according to Skyjacker's reccomendations if that helps.

My angle really isn't that bad right now and the joints don't make noise, only problem is I dropped a shaft last week and realized it's not really safe as a DD like I use it. When I went from 4" to 6" I lost about an inch if the yoke in the transfer case.

i was running out of fundage and i knew i was going to go over 7" so i had to spring for the SYE kit (sucks too, have the 242) so i just got the DS lengthened for the sake of cash. that was 2.5yrs ago and ive had 0 probs. but it is time to make mine a woody.

-jpx3

Well that sounds good, I have the NP 231 though, I'm not sure, but I think they're slightly shorter. Nevertheless I would think that would make the driveline angle better. I have a set of shackles which I'm going to hold off on for now because as you said I would rather have the SYE and a Woody at 8". Thanks for the help!

I did it on my 98, because of fundage at the time and kept it that way, no problems, no vibes, and been like this for 2 years, Im sitting at 8.5 inches, but I will be changing the setup out soon because Im swapping in full size axles and converting to a 300 TCase..

Back