• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

racing seats?

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have racing seats installed in they xj or mj? I am thining of installing a set in my MJ maybe sparco, momo, or apc.... Then down the line add a 5 pt. harness setup. Or does anyone at lest have any pics of such a thing done?

Thanks
Chris

Heres my Corbeau's.
0603997-r1-046-21a.jpg

More pics

The seat track/slider is XJ,the seat brackets I made.

I've been looking at your pics and can't figure out one part. To join the seat to the slider assembly, was there only one piece? Was that the one that looked like two pieces of channel with a raised bar at the front end, and if so, was that the bottom of the frame for your original seat? How hard was it to make?

I'm guessing you made the mount since you could make your own for less, but were there any other reasons?

I'm using Corbeau Forzas. They hold you in place like a vise but in and out is an upper body workout.
Corbeaus are great because they offer a bracket for XJs so it's just a bolt in mod.

just a quick note, back in my SCCA days, those who had 5 points with racing seats without full cages inside often had problems with some inspectors...

it seems that in a roll over, with a three point, your body can move out of the way of a crushing force, like the roof of the vehicle....

with a five point and no cage your body is stuck upright

anyway, may not pertain, but I'd pass it along -- never had a full cage or five points myself, never rolled a vehicle, so can't speak from first hand

wescam said:
just a quick note, back in my SCCA days, those who had 5 points with racing seats without full cages inside often had problems with some inspectors...

it seems that in a roll over, with a three point, your body can move out of the way of a crushing force, like the roof of the vehicle....

with a five point and no cage your body is stuck upright

anyway, may not pertain, but I'd pass it along -- never had a full cage or five points myself, never rolled a vehicle, so can't speak from first hand

My son rolled his TJ last month or so, I was not impressed with the factory 'roll cage' that comes in the TJ, folded like a cheap suit...

RichP said:
My son rolled his TJ last month or so, I was not impressed with the factory 'roll cage' that comes in the TJ, folded like a cheap suit...

Meets minimum government safety standards. Hell, they're called 'sport bars' anyway.

The pics are of my Cheromanche project,so there will be no back seats.I did build the mounts to provide access to my rear storage area.There are 2 channels mounted to both tracks and connected at both ends!Eksjay,I had no problems with the fitment in the XJ,Ive got the seats cut apart so I can "widen" them for even more room/comfort.
0603997-r1-036-16a.jpg

I just installed a set of PRP seats (okay, I only have one installed so far...)
Simular to Beard and Carbeau but I ordered a 'daily driver' type. Lower sides for ease of entry. That should read 'easier than high sided Beards' because they still take a bit more effert to get in and out of....
With all that said....OH MY GAWD....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!
I was running the old flat sided sport seats that came with the Cherokee new. They would kill my back just driving around...and I would be popping the pain meds if I was out rock crawling....
These new seats are great...they hold you in and don't force you to support your 'sides' while out wheeling.
Now...I havn't put even so much as a thousand miles on them yet but so far....I would use these seats again...(although I had a bitch of a time getting them shipped out to me.....)
BTW mounting them is not much of a fuss....two pieces of angle for each seat....
RickR :sunshine:

Back