• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling prob.

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I searched and I tyred what was suggested and came out with no results. My jeep is running at arround 160 while driving as soon as I slow and come to a stop it goes up to 210 in about 3 sec. it'll stop there then slowly rise. I can put it in nutral and rev the motor and it goes back down just as fast and the same when I start driving. I did the suggested change of the fan clutch and it did nothing. I do have a coolent leak, I think from the rear freeze plug where the motor and tranny meet. Haven't fixed it yet because a shop wants $800 to fix it and I don't have it right now. What else could this be? I did open the hood while it was sitting at about 230 and to mee it didn't seem that hot, no smoke or heat waves comeing from the engine. Could it just be the coolent temp gauge? not the thermostat but the other senser on the thermostat houseing. Please help asap

1993 xj sport 137k on the truck
4.0 with arround 10K on it
automatic tranny

Did you get this sourced? 160 seems pretty insane. I think I'd start with replacing the gauge sending unit first. Mine was seeing 230 at worst before I did the rad and pump and t stat. But the 160 seems odd. That sensor can't cost that much. I'd put one of those on and see if the consistency of the #'s change. I'd be curious to know what you come up with.

I did a little test this morning where I drove to school and the temp was saying average about 210 and it takes about 5 min to get to campus. I sat in the parking lot a little while and watched the temp go to about 220-230 I then turned off the motor and poped the hood. I took my bare hand and felt the valve cover and it was maby a little warmer then luke warm. So I think the sensor may be faulty. Unless my vavle cover really does cool down that quickly. And again no smoke or heat waves comeing from the engine, outside temp is about 40-45.

The sensor reads coolent temp....not valve cover temp. 160 is way low, 210 is pretty much normal. Did the electric fan come on when the temp climbed?

Rev

Remember, the sensor on the t-stat housing is not the sensor for your coolant temp guage. The small sensor near the manifold on the back of the I-6 is the correct sensor (it's much smaller). This one costs about 11 dollars at NAPA to replace, so it might be a good thing to do anyway, but I don't think that's the problem. If your electric fan is kicking on, then your engine is probably really getting that hot.

You may want to have the coolant sytem checked...or more accurately the radiator cap - seems to me I heard somewhere that the cap can cause something like this...hmmmm.

If you have a leak in the coolant system how bad is it? the system needs to get to pressure (about 17psig I think) to properly work I am told. If you have a leak you may not be reaching that pressure.

I am no mechanic but food for thought.

JC95

Change the thermostat and use the the mopar one. It's ten bucks and takes a half an hour. It's mark this side up, make sure it is up. I had an aftermarket t-stat in mine and it never worked right, just buy the mopar unit and be done.

If you are not sure the oem temp gauge is acurate I would replace it with a mechanical one. Sun Pro makes one that is fairly inexpensive and it reads temp by a copper tube or wire that runs from you engine to you gauge inside the vehicle. It will tell you exactly what your temp is and there will be no more doubt as whether or not you ride is getting hot. Also the reply about pressure loss through your leak at your freeze plug could cause your colling system to act up. But if you are going to pay $800 dollars to fix it I would pull the motor and rebuild the whole thing myself for that price if you have the time, money and tools. I just rebuilt mine for around $1000 about a month ago. Might be something to consider if you have a high mileage motor

I just went back and saw that your motor only has 10k on it, so scratch the last part of my last reply. $800 to replace a freezeplug, that sucks but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

To answer your earlier question, no my problem was simply that the guage never moved. The sensor was totally dead :hang: so I replaced it and yea it did fix that problem.

no , problem still not fixed I've just been busey with work and school. I'm going to replace the sensors, see where that gets me. Then see about a possable blown head gasket...seeing coolent boil out of top of oil pan time to time, could cause lack of pressure to keept the coolent system up to par, so I've been told...make since. If or when I fix it I'll let ya'll know

Well it turned out I was a little low on coolent :doh: it fixed the temp problem but I still have the leak.

I was wondering, I looked under the jeep to see if I had a blown head gasket because I thought I was seeing coolent comeing from my drivers side of the oil pan and atchually it is comeing from the bottom part of the water pump flowing down simulateing it comeing out of the pan. Now could this possably go all the way down the pan and also simulate a bad rear freeze plug? I'm going to change the gasket sometime next week and see how this fixes my problem....HOPEFULLY, it is simulating everything that will save me lost of money, espeshally if I have a shop pull the tranny only to find out the rear plug is fine.

Back