• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil additives

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if any of the oil additives (restore, dura-lube, ect.) work. Does it actually help restore compression, or is all this stuff just snake oil?

robz95xj said:
Does anyone know if any of the oil additives (restore, dura-lube, ect.) work. Does it actually help restore compression, or is all this stuff just snake oil?

Hope in a bottle...

How are you gonna repair worn metal with an additive?

well back in 1999 i was running a CJ-5 with Prolong in it Oil,Tranny,and fuel treatment.

we had a innertube hooked to the rear of it pulling the tube with folks on it up and down a river. about waist deep water. well that got boring after awhile and we was about 16 miles up river by this time. and found some sand dunes. or sand barges if you would anyway big hill of sand and one of my buddies launched off of it..... well cant let him out do me so i shoot over it with my rig and on landing, I take out my oil filter. bad engine mount, come to find out.

well 16 miles of up river to my trailer no oil and no oil filter. holding my jeep at about half throttle to get back to the trailer the whole way. got home put new oil filter on and new oil in it . figured the engine is shot. fired up not missing a beat quite as the day she was built.... not a tick or bang just smooth running.

i swear by prolong ever since...........

as far as the restores i wouldnt trust them

mechanic in a can i would stay away

D.I.T.A said:
mechanic in a can i would stay away
took ya long enough to sign up, but did you relize this thread is over 3 years old

In my opinion, a good (usually synthetic) oil doesn't need additives. I am a biased AMSOIL dealer and it has exceeded my expectations. Some additives are good, but most aren't.

I also just added a can of Restore on my last oil change. Great stuff. Motor is quieter, feel better during acceleration, and idles alot better. I can feel a little "umph" now when i hit the pedal hard. Great stuff.

Back