• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty hydro shocks?

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I was out limbering up and de-spidering my trail rig this morning and noticed that the front shock rods are rusted pretty bad.

Will this kill the seals or is it no big deal? These are really too short for my current lift anyway, but they have seen very little use so I'd hate to have to chuck em...

hmm...what size lift are they for? may take them off your hands..:laugh3:

I'd try to gently steel wool the rust of, if it's just surface rust. but if it's deep rust I'll bet youd have to remove enough material that they would leak and become useless pretty quick, can't picture the rust being that bad though.

considering yours are too short for you sounds like a great excuse to get longer ones.

clean em up and sell em if they're still good, then you'll have some money down on your proper sized ones.

I'd reccomend Rusty's hyrdros for good flex and ride as long as you dont like to go airborn. if you need more beefy shocks than that, I also really enjoyed Rancho RS5000s, some say they're too stiff but I loved them untill I lifted and needed longer travel.

Last edited:
Back