• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multiple Use of Mounting Points When Bolting On Upgrades

wescam

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering about something. Maybe some of you guys can comment.

My rig is in dire need of several components now that the "hard stuff" is done. It's nekkid underneath, heh.

So as I look at and shop for engine, tcase, and gas tank skids; front and rear bumpers; and rock rails, I noticed something that brings up a question.

For example, if one were to purchase Skid Row Engine skid and Detours rock rails (with the stiffener) both use the LCA bolt as a mounting point.

Or, look at the tank skids and custom rear bumpers that use the nut strips. I'm guessing there's room for both thing to bolt up, but I have no clue since I've never done them before.

Or think about how many front bumpers offer to stiffen the steering box area, and at the same time, there are specific aftermarket products just for that.

Now being a total noob, it seems you could run into conflicts at these points, and perhaps some others I've not found yet when bolting all this stuff up.

Anyone out there have any problems like this that were a show stopper? At least a few of the major aftermarket guys post on their sites when they find known compatability issues.

For example, if one were to purchase Skid Row Engine skid and Detours rock rails (with the stiffener) both use the LCA bolt as a mounting point.

Many other name brand or home made rock rails don't use the LCA bolts. I suppose it could be done with a longer bolt, but why?

Or, look at the tank skids and custom rear bumpers that use the nut strips. I'm guessing there's room for both thing to bolt up, but I have no clue since I've never done them before.

I added class III hitch to factory gas tank skid - no problem

Or think about how many front bumpers offer to stiffen the steering box area, and at the same time, there are specific aftermarket products just for that.

Get or make your own bumper brackets that include the steering box reinforcement. (Rock Lizard has a good pic of theirs http://jeepin.com/features/rocklizard_bumper/monitor5t.jpg) I have seen pics of an XJ with a offroad bumper and a C-rok reinforcement plate.

There are so many mfg's of each product that you shouldn't have a hard time finding compatible parts. Best thing to do is ask them specifically if something will cause a conflict and if they don't know...well then probably look for someone who knows what they're talking about.

For a lot of the rear bumpers and gas tank skids it's not a problem to share the mounting holes but again, important to ask beforehand.

Back