• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Light Still On

Undeclared

NAXJA Forum User
I'm stumped at this point. I had the codes read and I am getting a check engine light flash code of 11 and a generic scan tool code P1391. According to my book, this means an intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor.
In the last two week I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor (thought it was the reason my jeep stopped runnning) and the distributor with a new camshaft position sensor (actuall reason jeep died). So now I'm wondering if it's possible that I am getting these codes because the distributor is not indexed correctly?

The Jeep: 1996 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 4wd

Before i re-index the distributor, I put the old CPS back in and it did nothing, after 10 miles of driving the check engine light came back on. Guess I'll see if I can reset the distributo back one tooth and see if anything changes.

I've tried taking off the battery cable and putting it on numerous times. After each time, after driving for about ten miles or so the check engine light comes back on. Im 99.9% sure that it is not the CPS or the Cam position sensor since I've replaced both now twice. I think that my distributor might be off a little bit causing an occasional misfire (funny because I havent felt anything like a misfire, runs fine). Will try to resolve the issue after I go to tahoe next week with it.

Check for corrosion in the CPS and CamPS connectors. Check the ground strap from the rear of the head to the firewall. Remove and reseat the connectors to the ECU.

Back