• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

floater housing end

xjjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
here are some pics of the housing ends i made to put dana 44 spindles on my ford 8.8. the end will get welded to the axle tubing, then the spindle bolted to it. i plan on using gm caliper mounting brackets, gm rotors (either 6 or 8 lug), and warn hubs or drive flanges. i sorta like the hub idea, that way i can unlock them and no one could steal my rig..

scot
fbf48374.jpg.orig.jpg
fbf4836a.jpg

Thats some nice work !!!!!!

If I had the Lathe Id find the time!!!!!!

How are you getting the approx. 1.37" diameter 31 spline 8.8 shafts to fit through the approx. 1.21" ID spindle?

Nice work.......btw......

CRASH

Ok, I'm either too tired or just not seeing something. Crash, how did you come up with those measurements?

As far as the hubs. Personally, I wouldn't do it. It's just one more thing to break when you're sitting with all your weight on one back tire.

Nice machine work. Are you going to grind the bearing race surfaces so that you know they are running perfect or just go with what you got?

Sean

i bored the dana 44 spindle to 1.350 id, the very bottom bore on the hb is for a seal, plus i have a seal in the axle tube on the diff end. so fluid stays in the pumpkin. 2-seals .
sean- you lost me on the race issue ????

scot

OK, I was wondering if you went the boring route.

Sean, I was measuring some parts I had with a bad mic, I was off by a couple of hundreths. (Damned Chinese junk)

CRASH

Are you going to grease the wheel bearings or let the diff fluid flow out there?

If you're just going to use the diff fluid, what would you use to seal the end of the hubs?

I've been planning to full-float a D44, so I'm looking for ideas.

on most full floater rears you pack the bearings with a good grease (like a marine grade). the diff fluid would never get to those bearings anyway. i also have 2 seals per axle tube, 1-at the
housing end and one in the tube next to were the carrier bearing would be. so on my set up diff fluid should never go into the tube

scot

If I could read, I would've seen your last post where you already answered my question before I asked.

I like the way you're doing it...keeping the diff fluid in the diff. One reason I want to FF the D44 is to try and fix the leaking.

When do you expect to have it all done?

Back