• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker armor

kofeebrat

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering what everyone did for armor on the rockers? I was kinda looking at Warn's Rock Sliders (found em on pg 88 of the March issue of Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off Road) but by delivery they would be in the $400 ballpark. I was just wondering if there was any cheaper alternatives that didn't sacrifice strength.

Thanks again!

quadratec has those for around 350 w/ shipping. personally i like the way daystars four real steel rock sliders look. they are 310 w/o shipping. the aluminum inserts are a nice touch to those. they would work just as good as warns. the cheapest way to get rocksliders is to make your own.

I'm taking my daystar rock sliders off this weekend. They do look good, and they have worked. Been on for 2 years now, taken lot's of abuse and well did the job. Problem is they tend to collapse at the pinch seam causing the upper tube to stop the door from opening. I've had to carry a pry bar the last 5 trips out to pry them down so I can open the doors. I'm just getting worn out climbin out the window on an XJ with 8 inches and 35's. It's a long way to the ground. :mad:

I do also think they have helped in more than one occasion to keep the rock rash off the lower part of the door. I'm looking into a fab to keep them in place or else I'll replace them. Good product, just high maintenance.

Derik

Here's mine, custom built.

slider_top_view.JPG

slider_bottom_view.JPG

slider_bottom_view_2.JPG

Note the two tubes that sandwich the pinch seam sit tight against the inner rocker panel spreading the load of an impact over a much larger area. 17 bolts per side hold these on.

These sliders are BEEF.

kofeebrat said:
I was just wondering what everyone did for armor on the rockers? I was kinda looking at Warn's Rock Sliders (found em on pg 88 of the March issue of Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off Road) but by delivery they would be in the $400 ballpark. I was just wondering if there was any cheaper alternatives that didn't sacrifice strength.

Thanks again!

The warn one looks nice but I don't think it would work too well. I have had my rails for a while now and while the rails survived on the previous jeep, they didn't spread the load on the pinch seem too well I had to rework them on this one. In any case, if you put the pinch seem mount on the inside of the pinch seem it will work way better as the mount there has something to support against (there is reinforcement inside the rocker panel going up to the floor board )
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=te2xbqn.c1yk7do7&x=0&y=4s1kn4

2nd that.
i got a set of Ajs 1/8 superrails for 210 shipped..only problem is aj stopped fab temporarily so he could get insurance for his daughter. but holla at him he might take care of you...

Dirk Pitt said:
Here's mine, custom built.

slider_top_view.JPG

slider_bottom_view.JPG

slider_bottom_view_2.JPG

Note the two tubes that sandwich the pinch seam sit tight against the inner rocker panel spreading the load of an impact over a much larger area. 17 bolts per side hold these on.

These sliders are BEEF.

thats a good idea -- the pinch seam

Im going to have to redo mine... My 33 Inch tires rub...
im going to steal your idea when i do it... :laugh3:

I also saw on another guys XJ that he made a reinforcement of the unibody rail you are bolting onto that worked as a rail for rocks... it also gave more beef to bolt the rock rail to... I may try soemthing like that...

ken

IMORTL said:
im going to steal your idea when i do it... :laugh3:

I can't take credit for the design, it was Cabo Manufacturing at it's finest. :laugh3:

I cut out the sheetmetal rockers & welded in rectangular tubing. Had conventional rock sliders but everytime a rock jumped up & tagged one they banged the sheetmetal. Not nearly as bad as it would have been without the sliders. Once I replaced the rockers with tubing I didn't hit them much anymore

MistWolf said:
I cut out the sheetmetal rockers & welded in rectangular tubing. Had conventional rock sliders but everytime a rock jumped up & tagged one they banged the sheetmetal. Not nearly as bad as it would have been without the sliders. Once I replaced the rockers with tubing I didn't hit them much anymore
Ditto!
My XJ is at Ocean State Off Road in Westerly, RI getting that treatment.
I already had damage there and liked the beef and clearance of replacing the rockers with 4"x4" steel and reinforcement.
I'll post pics later this month.

I was searching threads for pics when I found this...

Back