• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying/Installing Reman. Engine

J33PsRock

NAXJA Forum User
Okay...

Decided to but the Jasper remanufactured engine. I feel much better about this than the risk of a used or even rebuilt. Jasper has these "installers" and the one in my area charges 1000$ to install it. Jaspers warranty (36/75) is *not* contingent upon who installs...so...

I have considered removing the old engine (at least) and possibly installing the new one. Just trying to save some $$. I believe the engine is worth it, just trying to save elsewhere.

So, any ideas how hard this could be? I recently changed the exhaust manifold myself, got 'er done, but it was quite frustrating at times. Are there any special challenges, thing to look out for?

Or, is it ignorant to spend $2200 on an engine and fool around trying to install myself?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

It is either time or money, just depends on what you have more of. I think you need to ask yourself what you are capable of doing. Replacing an engine to an experienced mechanic is not that difficult of a task. Only you can tell if you are willing and/or able to complete the install and then get it running. That being said, I think setting the distributor timing is the hardest thing for an inexperienced mechanic. Beyond that it is just nuts and bolts, but be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to do it. Don't set an unrealistic timetable for yourself and expect delays or setbacks because you know they will happen. Good luck, and buy yourself a good repair manual if you do try it. I say go for it. If anything you will know how to wrench when needed on the trail.

Bryan

Not super difficult, but as recomended before get a good manual. Figure at least a day to pull it and a day to install it. But don't rush or feel bad if it takes longer. I pull one this weekend and I forgot to take out the shifter. I was pickup up the whole truck with the engine hoist. Stupid me. Anyways, lable parts and conections, take pictures as to where things go, before and during disassembly. I recomend taking out the airbox to gain access. Ask for help, if you have people who have pulled an engine before.
Tom

A grand to replace an engine seems a little steep, well... a lot steep..look around in your area a try to find a reputable mechanic and compare prices. Good choice of engines, have heard a lot of good things about them. Good luck.

If you are thinking of pulling it yourself and having someone else
install better talk to them first. You probably wont save anything,
they could even charge extra if you bring in boxes of loose parts.

Anyway IMO if you did the manifold you were half way there.
If you can afford having the job take longer than you plan
(It will..) go for it. Oh you will most likely need some extra sets of hands
at a couple of points in the job..

When you are replacing an engine it is a long process. Like has been said before. It is very important to make sure the timing is right and all wiring where it is supposed to be. Get a good buddy with some mechanical skills to come and help with the job. If you decide to replace the motor yourself I think it is the best option because you save on some money and get to know your truck that much more which is very important on the trail. I am about to replace the 2.5 in my truck next weekend and plan on doing it with myself and a good friend who knows his way around an engine. Good luck!!

I'll be the devils advocate here, if one of the jasper installers does the work and the engine fails for whatever reason any additonal labor like having to replace the engine with another one, is covered under the install. My wifes Oldsmobile had an engine blow, had it replaced with a jasper, that was two summers ago. Also had a new rad put in at the same time, no extra charge it had to come out anyway. 3 weeks ago the transaxle went, lost second gear, had that replaced with a jasper also. One of my customers who is also a friend is a jasper shop, before this even came up they had flown him out to the facility somwhere in the midwest where he got the guided tour of the factory. He said the amount of stuff they throw out is amazing, every component is magnafluxed and xrayed before it is put in the aseembly lines. The engine has run flawlessley [knock on wood] but if it goes [we got the extened warrany 6/90K] it gets replaced for nothing out of my pocket. He was pretty impressed with the setup there and the quality. What did suprise me was that we had to wait almost 2 weeks for the transaxle, they were out of them and had to build one. When it came in it looked brand new, so far has run well and we are confident enough to start using it for longer trips [takes me a while to trust again after a failure like that]. In the long term, only time will tell, OH, the transaxle was $2K and $500 to install, new OEM one from GM was $2300 and a recycled junkyard was $1200. While he had it out did some other stuff like boots that were OK but original, they were super easy to replace with the transaxle disconnected and out so that added an extra $20 or so. Just my .02

Also, plan on renting, borrowing or stealing an Engine Hoist. Actually, see what one rents for and what a cheap one cost. Use to $25 a day. The number of times I rented one, I could have boughten one. Also, you will need a piece of chain. Mine balanced pretty good with using the rear exhaust stud and one of the front bosses for the alternator bracket. The hoist hook was towards the rear of the engine. This was with the transmission. I think around $800 is about right to pull an engine. Still, prices vary from region to region. I fing it easier to pull both engine and tranny together.
Tom

Man I appreciate the insights and support. I will definitely need it. I have the Haynes manual. Are there others with more/better/different info? Like Chilton's? Or...

Thanks fellas...

yes, it's called the factory service manual, it is your vehicle specific.

I own an 85 xj wagoneer with the 2.5 inline four and am going to be replacing my engine soon. I went to the web site booksforcars.com like previously mentioned and they have these two listings,

84-87MR 244 cherokee, wagoneer shop manual by jeep AMC for 39.95

also

84-88 cherokee, wagoneer mechanical and bodywork service manual by jeep for 59.99.

I do all my repairs on my woody and would like to buy the book that will best help me with my engine install along with other repairs listed in the book. I can also get the chilton book for my truck from carquest. Which is the best for my repair needs and for other repairs. I don't really care about body damage repair manuals. Any advice would be great.

I've never done a swap on a jeep. But i've swapped out a motor in my old honda. I swapped out the 2.2L engine and replaced the clutch/flywheel etc. I tell ya what... I'm never doing it again. I love messing with cars (and trucks) and doing my own handy work to save money on brakes, suspension, etc. But i'll prolly never swap a motor again. We did the entire swap in 18 hours (straight). More bs pops up than you can ever imagine. Anything that you THINK might go wrong be prepared to stop and workn on.

I might be in your same boat here soon... I might ponder replacing the head myself. But good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!! as forementioned.. don't rush. You'll save skin, blood, sweat and headache in the long run.

I did a backyard 4.0 swap on my 5spd MJ back in '01. It was a pretty involved process... and some phases having 4 - 6 hands & backs is required (like splining up the crank/trans and setting the bolts that mate em...and chasing the dropped int/exh manifold hardware) It would really help if the helpers knew wrenches too... or at least helped write down what parts/wires/hdwe went where, and had containers (soup-cans/baggies & sticky labels) to sort things into as it comes apart.

If you have the tools required, and aren't afraid of a weekend-+ project, a 4.0l swap is pretty straightforward. I had a small (10x10) rough-poured pad to work on and an engine hoist... and it rained some, plus I frightened my helpers away when they got wet and/or unhelpful... At the end of the day I had a small handful of leftover parts :dunno: Don't omit the two top (torx) bellhousing bolts :) whatever ya do.

woody said:
At the end of the day I had a small handful of leftover parts :dunno: Don't omit the two top (torx) bellhousing bolts :) whatever ya do.

Why, does it turn it into a slant 6 :laugh3:

Creighton said:
I've never done a swap on a jeep. But i've swapped out a motor in my old honda. I swapped out the 2.2L engine and replaced the clutch/flywheel etc. I tell ya what... I'm never doing it again. I love messing with cars (and trucks) and doing my own handy work to save money on brakes, suspension, etc. But i'll prolly never swap a motor again. We did the entire swap in 18 hours (straight). More bs pops up than you can ever imagine. Anything that you THINK might go wrong be prepared to stop and workn on.

I might be in your same boat here soon... I might ponder replacing the head myself. But good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!! as forementioned.. don't rush. You'll save skin, blood, sweat and headache in the long run.

But of course, the Honda is front wheel drive. The XJ will be a breeze in comparison.

PaulJ said:
But of course, the Honda is front wheel drive. The XJ will be a breeze in comparison.

I've heard.

Doing that swap in my honda wasn't fun. I had a friend do the wiring harness (usdm to jdm).

But its tarnished me from doing anything major without having access to a lift and every possible tool known to man. =]

RichP said:
Why, does it turn it into a slant 6 :laugh3:

Nope, I had a rock jack up into the 5spd transmission case and it turned into a V-drive. Made some heavy-metal :guitar: sounds and then quit running. Broke ear off block, on a 7000 mile rebuilt.

Back