• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ w/ 4.5" & 32's - WHAT GEARS?

XJLimited01

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, im fairly new to NAXJA, but have been wheeling for a few years now. My previous rig was a '99 TJ sport on 6", 35" MT/R's and 4.56 gears.

Now, I have an '01 XJ Limited on 4.5" wtih 265x75x16's (32's) and want to ditch my stock 3.55's in favor of a better ratio, mainly for street, it's my daily driver. MPG is 100% of my wanting to re-gear.

Thanks a bunch.

Check out my XJ: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/469727

And my TJ:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/538853

i may get flamed for this but if you are going to be using it mainly for streetsand want gears completely for gas mileage then i say 4.10s.

edit: you may want top consider 4.56 or 4.27 (depending on set up) if you plan on doing towing. I have 4.10 and love 'em. I only have 31s but is also a dd.

Last edited:
Yeah, i've hear 4.10's thrown around alot for 32's. I know the 4.56's with my 35's on the TJ work great (17-18mpg avg.) and I thought the logical choice was to step down to 4.10's. Thanks for the input.

4.56 and true 32" MTs

punchy on the low end

2500 RPM at about 67 MPH

Only have about 600 miles on this set up and no real wheeling yet. But everything I read, based on what I want to do, led me to that combo.

I'd suggest you just search here and elsewhere and decide.

really bad just from eyeballin' the gas gague

I'd only estimate 12 City and 18 or so Highway. I've not bothered to figure the milage. My rig is very "new" as the sig points out. 27 or 28 K miles (haven't looked in a while)

definetly 4.56s, anything less and you will regret it

4.56 and 32s, about 15mpg combined city and highway - close to 17/18mpg with more highway mileage. That's with a corrected speedometer...

XJLimited01 said:
Hey man thanks, EXACTLY what I was lookin for.
maybe you could search for it...

XJLimited01 said:
Thanks alot. I'm leaning toward the 4.56's.
dont lean, just go ahead and fall

Richdaman said:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/help/help_pages/tire_gear_ratio_chart.htm
4.10-4.27 would be ideal....
4.56 is perfect for 33 to 35, so if you do go with the 4.56's you might want to consider going to a 33" tire later down the road.
SPOBI. If you read any of the multitude of threads that come up by searching for it, you'll know that the numerical change isn't all you need. The lower gear is needed to help overcome the added weight and rolling resistance of the larger wheels and tires.

I stand by 4.56, as proven by actually driving them.

Might as well do the 4.56s- especially if you plan to keep taking advice from us. That'll lead you down the primrose path to more lift, 35 inch tires (minimum) trimmed fenders and bigger axles. That's what happened to me.

I can't tell you if 32s & 4.56s gave me better gas mileage on the street, but it had no problems with gitup'n'go. With 35s I still had no trouble with gitup'n'go until I hit Angels 8 in altitude. However, my Jeep ain't your Jeep.

One thing you might try until you regear is drive around in 3rd gear instead of overdrive and see if lower gears will help. I'm too lazy to do the math right now, but somebody will be helpful and do it or post a link with the special online gonkulator that'll do the brain work for ya

PS- See above. Somebody done posted it fer ya!

Thanks to everyone who's pitched in on helpin' me with this. As I've stated in other posts, im not new to Jeep'n, i've got a 99 TJ on 6" with 35" mt/r's and 4.56's. I guess the added weight of the XJ vs the TJ, and my other crap would balance out to installing 4.56's and only running 32's. Anyway, keep the posts coming, the more advice and experience the better. THANKS AGAIN!

Last edited:
Yucca-Man said:
SPOBI. If you read any of the multitude of threads that come up by searching for it, you'll know that the numerical change isn't all you need. The lower gear is needed to help overcome the added weight and rolling resistance of the larger wheels and tires.

I stand by 4.56, as proven by actually driving them.

Bogus information?? No. Especially if your if your talking about a daily driver.
I am running 4.56 gears with 35''s and it is just right. I would have liked to have installed 4.88's for that extra crawl, but I also use my rig for some towing and street use. (Great Mileage!)

Might as well do the 4.56s- especially if you plan to keep taking advice from us. That'll lead you down the primrose path to more lift, 35 inch tires (minimum) trimmed fenders and bigger axles. That's what happened to me.
EXACTLY THAT! =)

Last edited:
XJLimited01 said:
Thanks to everyone who's pitched in on helpin' me with this. As I've stated in other posts, im not new to Jeep'n, i've got a 99 TJ on 6" with 35" mt/r's and 4.56's. I guess the added weight of the XJ vs the TJ, and my other crap would balance out to installing 4.56's and only running 32's. Anyway, keep the posts coming, the more advice and experience the better. THANKS AGAIN!

I'm not sure, but I think your TJ might be a little heavier than the XJ, unless your Cherokee has all the bells & whistles and a chrome plated cod-piece

Back