• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving to a concert last night and I missed the exit and when I went got off the interstate I hit the gas real hard at the stop sign and my check engine light came on and it wouldn't shift over 3000 rpms and when I got back on the interstate it wouldnt shift into overdrive. So I pulled over on the side of the interstate and turned it off and turned it back on and the check engine light went off and it drove normally. After the concert when I started it up it drove fine with no light. The only other time the check engine light has come on was when i started it the other day it came on but i shut it off and restarted it and it went away.

Any ideas? I'm thinking TPS but thats a guess.

Oh, and whats the proceedure for checking the codes on an OBDI 95 XJ? Also, its a 4.0l/AW4

Last edited:
If you don't have one already, pick up a Hayes manual. It tells you how to check the code and what they mean. That chart alone made mine worth it!

If you just want to post the numbers so someone else can look it up, I believe all you have to do is turn the key from the off to on position 3 times, then watch the check engine light. It will flash so many times for each digit of the codes. In between each digit there will be a longer pause. Someone can fill in if there's more, I don't have my manual on me and haven't had to do it in a few months....

I'm retarded, I have a manual I'll check that. I didn't even think to check in there for that since I've always found the best advice on here. :D

Okay, so I figured out how to check the codes, its pretty straight forward I just couldn't remember. I got these codes:

12: Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles.

24: Throttle Position Sensor input above or below minimum accceptable voltage.

55: Completion of diagnostic trouble code display on the malfunction indicator lamp.

So I think my guess was correct, it sounds like a faulty TPS. I just put a new TPS on it less than a year ago but I used an aftermarket Napa part instead of a dealer part. I think my original was fine, I just changed it out chasing down poor shifting which later turned out to be a bad transmission mount. Luckily I still have the original in my center console. :D

I changed out the TPS with my original one, which was fine, and test drove it and it drove fine with no more CEL. I also reset the computer.

Back