• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy New ECU?

XJdePlato

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my CPS sensor on my 92'auto 4x4 XJ and it didn't fix my no spark situation. I need to get this thing moving again so I'm just going to plunk down the change for a new computer. As I understand , 91 & 92 have a different computer than 93+. I haven't found any 92s 0r 91s at my local wrecking yards. I also am a little hesitant to use a used part that is also aparently a wear item. Where can I get a replacement ECU, a new one, besides the dealership( I hate the dealership!)? Any guess on how much it will set me back? I got quotes from wrecking yards as much as $300 for a used one, I figure a new one can't be much more. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You might be able to buy a rebuilt and warranted ECU from some independent parts houses, but I am sure they won't be real cheap.

Before you start hanging parts and "shotgunning" the problem, why don't you dig up a VOM, and schematic for the ignition circuit, and attack the problem scientifically. Yeah, it's a PITA, but it's FAR cheaper than hanging parts until you find the right one.

BTW--the ECU is pretty reliable, and would be one of the LAST things I would suspect as the culprit in a "no spark" scenario.

before you spring for an ecu,Like someone said they really dont go bad, unless you fry them electrically somehow.... check the camshaft position sensor, inside the distributor, it can cause a "now ya see it - now ya don't " no spark situation...did you check everything else already, crank sensor, coil, etc?? (my bad you mentioned the cps) check the wires and connectors on the camshaft position sensor, on mine it took a while but my intermittent no spark was a cracked piece if insulation on that lead, and a break in strands of the wire, it had chafed on something and caused me a lot of hassle until I found it.

Last edited:
I´ve heard of the ECU going bad, but have never seen it, except when someone hooked the battery up backwords or tried to jump a dead battery with the jumpers reversed.
I usually work my way through the wiring, connectors, fuses and relais, before even messing with the sensors. The ECU would be way down my list of things to check.

Agreeing with above. Don't plonk down for a new ECU before checking the cam position sensor, which in your vehicle is most likely a Lucas part (remember why British-car enthusiasts call Lucas "the Prince of Darkness".....). In addition, there are potential wiring harness problems that can cause this. You can get an adequate digital multimeter for about 10 bucks these days, and a really nice one for 25. An ohmmeter and a wiring diagram can sometimes save you many many bucks, and many hours of frustration.

It's a long shot, but when the cam position sensor on my stepson's 93 failed last year, I was able to get it to start by first turning on the ignition, then unplugging and replugging the distributor. When I plugged it back in, I heard various relays click, the IAC resetting, and the engine then started. Apparently the system can run without the sensor working, but it interrupts the boot-up sequence of the computer.

By the way, when a previous wiring harness problem occurred on that same 93, the dealer quoted $985 for a new computer! And no refund if it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks alot guys. Quick follow up question, is the sync sensor in the distributer the same as the cam position sensor?Sorry I know thats an ignorant question but I still got alot to learn.

XJdePlato said:
Thanks alot guys. Quick follow up question, is the sync sensor in the distributer the same as the cam position sensor?Sorry I know thats an ignorant question but I still got alot to learn.
YES, it's the same

Back