• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.66x bigger canister air filter fitted

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
After waiting for the perfect solution for a intake and filter system that can handle Outback bull dust and have a dust extraction system on it as well, I have finally found it. That, and as the title says, it has a 3.66 bigger filter area than stock.
See my write up on it in the how to section under the engine section for more information and photos etc.

Let me know what you think.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

Filter3.jpg

Made use of my bonnet cowl and draw the air from there

Filter7.jpg

That looks like a great intake! Seeing that I do have a LHD (but no ABS) I think it would be a tight fit, but it may work. I have yet to alter my intake or filter system, so it's another possibility for a better filter. I plan on doing a cowl induction like the MadXJ site showed, so this would give me a way to get rid of the restrictive stock air box and filter assembly. Could you give us an idea of the price for the complete setup that you used? Thanks and nice work!

I did something similar using a donaldson housing out of a John deere tractor (filter even says john deere) but i think yours fits much better than mine.

Does it have the secondary safety filter?

Dingo

props on the application, but i am curious as to the CFM capability of that style filter. i guess in your situation with such large amounts of dust the filtration is the biggest factor, but how restrictive is your filter media in regards to flow.

you will obviously need more filtration than i ever would with your dry climate, but i'm a stickler for power... :us:

I bought the filter canister secondhand including the filter for $110 AUD or $87 USD and the hose cost me $44 ($ 34.75 USD ) from a speed shop. Apart from the catches I had every thing else lying around.
The flow rate is high enough as it is used here to feed turbo chrage 6 litre V8 diesels. I have been in contact with Donaldson during this project and ws demend more than adequate for airflow. I know of a TJ here that runs the same filter with a Chev EFI crate motor that is used for competion work.

So compared to your heat insulated stock air box, you still got increased performance from this new set up? I want to have an intake that will complement my 60mm throttle body without spending a fortune and I would like to have something that will decrease the chance of water in the intake, hence the cowl induction.

With this setup I do feel an increase in performance and my fuel economy has already improved. Will know more after this weekend as going away into the scrub for the Easter break.

Been talking all along with Donaldson during this conversion and they just sent me information on a new range of filters that could be just perfect for LHD XJ's. You can buy them now with a moulded in 90* elbow in the end for the outlet so would save a few inches in length over my setup.
I have put the PDF file on my site so you can read it yourself.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/DonaldsonFilters.pdf

Gojeep said:
Been talking all along with Donaldson during this conversion and they just sent me information on a new range of filters that could be just perfect for LHD XJ's. You can buy them now with a moulded in 90* elbow in the end for the outlet so would save a few inches in length over my setup.
I have put the PDF file on my site so you can read it yourself.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/DonaldsonFilters.pdf

That's the same one I'm using the big 8" one. The length is not better on these either. The canister is so wide that put in at an angle the top hits the radiator filler neck, that moves the whole assembly rearward about 3" then it runs into the master cylinder, It may fit ok on an early xj, With the single diaghram booster, but if you have the later dual diagrahm it's gonna be close. Right now i have a Single booster and a Ford LTD master cylinder, wich is about the same length as a stock MC and a dual booster and it bearly fits.

The only good thing is I have been able the stretch the stock intake hose over the outlet of the air can so i didn't need to find a hose to fit that, but i still haven't figuered out thow the plum the snorkel to it yet. And i want to go to the dual booster. I can get pics if someone wants to see what im talking about.

Dingo

Dingo- You're using the one with the built in 90*? If so, you should post the pics and give a parts list with costs. I'm getting more and more interested in doing this in combination with a cowl intake.

Gojeep, what's the length of the one you're using? Length of the 3 inch inlet and exit unit is a little short of 16.09 inches or 408mm. Your's looks a lot longer than that in your pics. What do you feel is the minimum cfm that the 4.0 can get away with?

Last edited:
Once again you've outdone yourself Marcus. Your fabrication skills are truly amazing and I take my hat off to you. Great job mate. :D
Your site is also truly inspirational and I keep visiting it from time to time to look for modding ideas. :cheers:

nhrocker said:
Dingo- You're using the one with the built in 90*? If so, you should post the pics and give a parts list with costs. I'm getting more and more interested in doing this in combination with a cowl intake.

Yes i am using the one with the 90 And as soon as somone tells me how to post them i'll do it. I can type on one of these thingssbut that's about it.

Dingo

I know the feeling! I'm learning as I go, luckily a lot of the people on here are great help! If you could, could you post the part #'s for them? I was looking at the list and there are a LOT of options. Different size inputs, outputs, locations, 2nd filters, etc. TIA!

Im using the G082526 it's the 8" model with the 90 elbow with the safety filter. As far as prices, well...... I had a friend who worked a john deere dealer and this was a "warranty" part that Deere did not want back. By "warranty" i mean he said it was the cause of the problem so he could replace it with a new one, and then after deere said they did not want the old part back it's left on the tractor and the new part went home with him.

I could never figure out why he doen't work there anymore?

Dingo
Still working on posting pics.

Do you think the G070018 would be large enough for flow? It looks like a substantial drop in CFM so it probably wouldn't be the best option. It would be slightly shorter and thinner to allow for an easier fit, but the in/outputs are only 3". That would mean having to replace the intake hose as well, right? If you can get pics of your's posted Dingo, that would be great so I can see the fit. What year XJ do you have? Mine is a 95, so I don't know if that translates to any more room.

Edit: I can't post pics, but I do know that Webshots is an easy way to host pics for free. Then you can just give the link for people to view your albums. HTH

I figuered it out, i think
Mine is a 91 As far as cfm GoJeep is the expert there
808664_6_full.jpg

808664_7_full.jpg

above is how tight it is to the filler neck
808664_8_full.jpg

And at the Master cylinder
808664_9_full.jpg

Overall Engine bay

Actually that looks like a really good fit, and since my washer fluid bottle is still on the passengers side, I'll have more room to play with the intake hose. Is your's just sitting there, or is it mounted somehow?

Back