• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Questions

iyaoyas

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock unlifted 91 XJ, it's my first Jeep and I am very happy with it.

I have a couple things I am trying to figure out though.

When I get up to 50 to 60 there is alot of vibration in the front end, when I get past 60 it just about completely goes away.

Also when I turn hard to the left I can hear a thumping sound and it almost feels like something is smacking directly under my feet.

Is there a common things with Jeeps I should look for?

I am in the Navy and plan on stopping by the Auto Hobby Shop tomorrow and put it on a lift to look underneath it.

Thanks,

Rob

I'd recommend checking all of your bushings in the front end or wear, if they haven't dry rotted and fallen out already.

Ask the guys at the Hooby shop to listen to your Jeep as you turn slowly in the parking lot. They'll most likely say the sound when you turn is caused by worn-out CV joints. You'll have to get a shop to replace them if the guys at the hobby shop can't help you do it. Most of those guys are great, and will be happy to help and teach you while you're fixing your Jeep up.

MattAlpha said:
I'd recommend checking all of your bushings in the front end or wear, if they haven't dry rotted and fallen out already.

Ask the guys at the Hooby shop to listen to your Jeep as you turn slowly in the parking lot. They'll most likely say the sound when you turn is caused by worn-out CV joints. You'll have to get a shop to replace them if the guys at the hobby shop can't help you do it. Most of those guys are great, and will be happy to help and teach you while you're fixing your Jeep up.
The vibration between 50 and 60, going away above 60, is a classic indication of improperly balanced tires.

The noise on turning could be control arm bushings, or axle u-joints. Your 91 XJ doesn't have CV joints -- it has universal joints.

I will have the tires balanced while I am there.

I will also look at the bushings and U-Joints while it is on the lift.

Thanks alot, at least it gives me a place to start.

Back