• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting Factory Wheels

dphillips

See,what had happened was
Anybody try repainting a set of wheels? Thinking about sanding or bead blasting mine and repainting them. They're just the stock 15"x7" wheels with the typical silver/gray paint on them. They are pretty beat up and I'm to cheap to go get some new steel whells. I'd rather try repainting them in black. Anyone done this and have some pictures. Maybe some tips or paint types to use.
Thanks

I sandblasted and painted a free set of stock steelies I got last summer. The main problem with sandblasting is that alot of sand got stuck inside the groove that goes around the dish of the rim. It impossible to get out, can't use a pick nor blow it out with an air chuck. I don't know if it could have been prevented if smaller sand was used. Also, I ran out of time to paint them and was forced to do them on the most humid day of the summer, DON"T PAINT ON A HUMID DAY. They started to rust pretty quick. I used rustoleum primer and rustoleum paiint, and a heat resistant clear coat made for rims, I think duplicolor made it.

Heres a pic :http://www.worldisround.com/articles/60678/photo7.html

Dean

I repainted my sport wheels and caps about 2 years ago with gloss black krylon and all my friends thought I got new wheels. I think they look pretty awsome black. I re painted them in september with rustoleum because the mud took its toll on the paint but other than that its held up really good.

I had a set of the old white cherokee spokers. I cleaned them and painted them w/ Duplicolor paint that was supposed to be the "autobody" paint in a rattle can. That paint lasted for years.

I bead blasted mine on my 94' and painted them with rustoleum primer and then used gloss black header paint . They came out awsome and the rims really stood up to all the salt and s##t that they went through this winter.

I did one factory rim that a friend's father-in-law (a professional sandblaster) shot for me. I used Duplicolor auto primer and a white paint made for wheels that I got at Auto Zone. That one came out great and still looks good two years later (New England).

I also tried blasting a set myself, using a Harbor Freight Tools self-contained blaster. My compressor doesn't put out enough pressure and the sane kept clogging, so I didn't get all the rust blasted off. Just looked at them yesterday when checking pressures. Two made it through the winter okay, but two have some rust coming back in the joint where the web (the center section) meets the rim. When it warms up a bit I'll have to wire brush that, treat it with acid, and repaint.

DDCxj said:
I sandblasted and painted a free set of stock steelies I got last summer. The main problem with sandblasting is that alot of sand got stuck inside the groove that goes around the dish of the rim. It impossible to get out, can't use a pick nor blow it out with an air chuck. I don't know if it could have been prevented if smaller sand was used. Also, I ran out of time to paint them and was forced to do them on the most humid day of the summer, DON"T PAINT ON A HUMID DAY. They started to rust pretty quick. I used rustoleum primer and rustoleum paiint, and a heat resistant clear coat made for rims, I think duplicolor made it.

Heres a pic :http://www.worldisround.com/articles/60678/photo7.html

Dean

For the above mentioned reason i would use a paint stripper (get airplane paint stripper at most auto parts store) two coats shoudl get all the all the pain off even in the corners/lips etc. Plus its not as messy, and if you don't already have the sand or a compressor its much much cheaper and quicker.

motorcityxj said:
For the above mentioned reason i would use a paint stripper (get airplane paint stripper at most auto parts store) two coats shoudl get all the all the pain off even in the corners/lips etc. Plus its not as messy, and if you don't already have the sand or a compressor its much much cheaper and quicker.

I've used both spray on paint remover I got at Pepboys, and i've sand blasted wheels.....I liked the spray on remover better, I actually think it was a little messier cleaning up, but it was worth it. But if you do sand blast, use fine sand or like metioned above it will get stuck in the lip.

Back