• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does it just want a rest?

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
I drove my Jeep home from work last night, and it drove just as normal. Today I get up and get ready to run a few errands, get in the jeep and...no start. I checked the battery power and it's connections...no start. I ran my codes, and found nothing unusual. My speedometer sensor has been failing lately but that doesn't result in a no start situation does it? Am I just missing something really basic here? I'd really like to get out of the house, but it's tough to check things when you're in a good ol' Florida thunderstorm...

You need to be a bit more specific. Does the starter crank the engine? Does it attempt to fire? Year/model/engine size/tranny, etc.

Oh...yea sorry, that might help. '91 XJ 4.0 I-6. Nothing, doesn't try to crank or anything, the standard electrical equipment comes on, like clock, CD, all that fun stuff, and when I turn the key I can hear the pump, and the guages all jump when I try to start it as they normally should, but nothing else, no crank, no nothin...

Got the same problem in my 91 XJ 4.0 / Auto and I know it is the Neutral Safety Switch. . . If I rattle the shifter around in Park and retry once or twice, it fires right up.

Also, an almost dead battery will light up everything but not have enough juice to crank the engine.

Yea, I thought the same thing. I rattled the crap outta that shifter, to no avail. I also hooked up my portable jumper to the battery with the same thought that you had, and had no result. Is it possible that the NSS is just dead all together? If so, why did it start up like a dream last night?

No, can't be the starter, I just replaced that a few months ago. Well I got it to start, and I think it is that damn NSS. I smacked the crap outta the shifter handle for like 2 minutes, trying it in park, neutral, park, neutral, etc. Eventually it cranked up just like normal. That's gotta be it then. I looked up the prices for a new NSS, and for one transmission, it's like 10 bucks, then for the AW4 it's somewhere around 250$! What's that about? I'm not sure which tranny I have, but I sure as hell hope it's not that one! :gag:

For the money you'll save it will be worth it just to take it out and clean it. Only about a 2 Hour job if that. Here is a link to the site that i used when cleaning mine. Hasn't given me trouble since.

Before digging through the NSS you might want to doublecheck the starter anyway. If it's oilsoaked or gunk-filled you can get the same effect although it's often "fixable" with a BFH

Back