• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 to toyota t-case?

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
AX-15 to toyota t-case, has this ever been done? I am going to be going drivers side drop and love the after market support and strength of the toy t-case. I looked at the AA catalog and there was no info...

Your best bet would be to contact Marlin Crawler. They might have an adapter or can help you get set up. www.marlincrawler.com

AARON

alright, dumb question, search revealed nothing. Has anyone ever run a flipped NP 231? is it even possible? Don't flame, just wondering if it has been done. I posted on the tech portion of the Marlin BBS, I don't think it will yield anything. I guess I will just have to keep dreaming about dual cases. Are there any other options for passenger side drop cases? Maybe a NP 203 or 205? Or will I just end up buying a dana 300? What are acceptable donor rigs for dana 300 cases?

davidt said:
alright, dumb question, search revealed nothing. Has anyone ever run a flipped NP 231? is it even possible? Don't flame, just wondering if it has been done. I posted on the tech portion of the Marlin BBS, I don't think it will yield anything. I guess I will just have to keep dreaming about dual cases. Are there any other options for passenger side drop cases? Maybe a NP 203 or 205? Or will I just end up buying a dana 300? What are acceptable donor rigs for dana 300 cases?

Jeep & Scout Dana 20 are passenger drop.

Good idea. You see dual t-cased Toys all the time. It's alot cheaper to do the dual Toy cases then a Klune V. Since you are going to go pass drop get the dual toy cases and the adapters from Marlin like was said, or Advanced Adapters should have something, they have tons of adapter for all kinds of swaps. Or if you want to keep it Jeep and still want pass drop get a dana 300 from a CJ7 80-86'. The 300 is a good t-case and you can twin stick it for front wheel drive only etc off road to make tight turns with a auto locker in your front axle. Alot better than having to hop out of your rig and unlock a hub everytime you make a tight turn with your detroit, lock rite, etc.

Troy

Big Red said:
Good idea. You see dual t-cased Toys all the time. It's alot cheaper to do the dual Toy cases then a Klune V.
Troy

Is it really cheaper? You have to find two Toy geared cases, the 23 input spline adapters and then get anything else that would mate the Toys to the AX15. Not to mention if you wanted deeper gears for those toy cases.

I think the Klune would still be cheaper in the long run.

Lawn Cher' said:
Jeep & Scout Dana 20 are passenger drop.
But how hard are they to adapt to an ax-15 is the real question. I want something relatively simple (that is what I always say and the "simple" stuff always ends up taking the longest time)

OILBURNER said:
I have talked w/ Marlin himself & he has done this before - actually put Two Toy cases behind an AX15 in an XJ :greensmok
I will have to call marlin up, I have always had toy envy and love the option of dual toy t-cases, plus toy t-cases can be had for cheap in this part of the country. I guess it will all depend on the cost of adapters, maybe a dana 300 is going to cost more. Do I need an adapter for a 300 or is that just if I want to clock the case?

oh yeah, I did call AA this morning, the guy said they didn't offer an adapter plate from an ax-15 to a toy case, but he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

BrettM said:
he's got 5.38s in the axles, so I'd just get a single Toy case and put a 4.7:1 gearset in it for only $400.

that's nearly 100:1 for under $1000

Or just use stock gears with two Toy cases, 140 to 1.

I don't know about finding cheap Toy cases in CA, but they can be found elsewhere. I guess I can be done for around $1000, either way.

ChuckD said:
Is it really cheaper? You have to find two Toy geared cases, the 23 input spline adapters and then get anything else that would mate the Toys to the AX15. Not to mention if you wanted deeper gears for those toy cases.

I think the Klune would still be cheaper in the long run.

I see Toyota stuff all the time on Pirate4x4.com for great deals from guys parting out their stuff. The Klune V is $1,500-2K or so new so it isn't cheap but nice.

I am up to the point of trying to find the correct parts to mate dual Toy gear drive cases behind my AX-15.

The AX-15 is in the Toyota R series of manual transmissions. This includes the R150, R151, and R154. The AX-15 and R150 are nearly identical (differences include tailhousing and output shaft, and splin count on the input).

Gear ratios:
AX-15 and R150:

R151:

R154:

The R154 was used in turbo Supra's, and is obviously a 2wd transmission. The R151 was used in '86-'87 pickups with the 22RTE engine (turbo 22RE). The R150 was used in later pickups, can't remember the specifics. The R150 and R151 could be either 2wd or 4wd. 4wd models will have an F at the end of the model number. So an R151F was used in a 4wd pickup, and R151 in a 2wd. The R150F only came with a chain drive transfercase behind it. Chain drive cases aren't stackable, they are drivers drop. Marlin Crawler makes an adapter to mate a chain drive case behind a gear drive crawl box. The R151F came with a gear drive case. The gear drives are stackable, passengers drop, and will take 4, 4.7, or 4.97 (5) gears. The gear drive cases behind the R151F are the only ones to get a 23 spline input from the factory. You can buy the 23 spline input seperatly from Marlin and stick it in a 21 spline case. If you get lower gears they will replace the input in the case, you can order 21 or 23 spline sets. Marlin also makes an adapter to bolt a gear drive case to an R150F.

You can swap tailhousings and output shafts between the R series transmissions. What this means is that you can swap an R150F tailhousing and output shaft onto an AX-15 and then bolt a gear drive Toy case behind that. No aftermarket adapter required unless you are doing dual cases, then you'd need the dual case adapter.
Another method would be to get an R150F tailhousing and output shaft and then the gear drive case adapter, then the transfer case.

Before someone says anything, you cannot swap individual gears. So it is not possible to swap an R151's 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and an R154's 5th into an AX-15. They are matched to each other , much like the way a ring is matched to a pinion in an axle. You can swap like parts, so R150 gears would swap into an AX-15 as replacements, gear ratios are the same.

The bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern is identical between all the R series transmissions. So you could bolt an R151F to an AX-15 bellhousing wich would in turn allow you to use the transmission with any AMC pattern engine. Problem is that the stickout of the R151 is 1" less than the stickout of the AX-15. I think that's too much of a difference for even a custom pilot bushing. And whole transmission swap would require the use of an AMC/Jeep flywheel and Toyota clutch as the Toyota transmissions have a finer spline on the input than the AX-15. There may be other issues wiht swapping transmissions, mainly with clutch throwout.

If you wanted dual Toyota cases but not passengers side drop , you could use the reduction portion of a gear drive case, then a chain drive case, using the adapter from Marlin between the two.

The R151F is a fairly rare transmission, and I've found prices are fairly high because fo this. Also Toyota pickups don't tend to show up in local boneyards very much.

I've just started looking for the transmission and transfer cases. I'd like to get an R151F tailhousing, and two gear drive cases, at least on top shift since I'd rather not have to deal with converting. Plan on OEM 2.28 gearing in both cases for now. With 5.13 axle gears this will land me just under 100:1 crawl ratio. Already have an ARB'd and 5.13 geard pass drop front 44 that I'm workin on.

Static-XJ said:
The R150F only came with a chain drive transfercase behind it. Chain drive cases aren't stackable, they are drivers drop. Marlin Crawler makes an adapter to mate a chain drive case behind a gear drive crawl box. The R151F came with a gear drive case. The gear drives are stackable, passengers drop, and will take 4, 4.7, or 4.97 (5) gears. The gear drive cases behind the R151F are the only ones to get a 23 spline input from the factory. You can buy the 23 spline input seperatly from Marlin and stick it in a 21 spline case. If you get lower gears they will replace the input in the case, you can order 21 or 23 spline sets. Marlin also makes an adapter to bolt a gear drive case to an R150F.

So you can have a toyota case, but it would have to be chain driven or at least the last part of it.

ChuckD said:
So you can have a toyota case, but it would have to be chain driven or at least the last part of it.
If you still want drivers drop or shift on the fly 4wd. The gear drive cases aren't shift on the fly, and pass drop only.

Back