• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CANADIAN help on a pigtail lead?

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98XJ that was originally built for export to Canada. It has the DRL (daylight driving light) module on it. There is a ligtail behind the r/f bumper, in front of the r/f fender liner. It has a two-prong oval factory socket on it, and has two wires going into it. They are green-violet/blue-black. The pigtail runs back under the battery (on the rt. side; under hood) and goes into the main wire loom.

I have been studying the factory manuals that I have for the '97 and the '99 [neither for the '98 I have]. Not sure which of the Power Distribution Center(PDC) diagrams apply to the '98 as they vary on the Fog Light relays information. There is a relay installed in the PDC that has 'Fog Light-DRL only' on it. There are apparently two plug-in's for Fog Light relays in the PDC and this one occupies one of the two spaces. The reason for my interest is that I want to put Fog Lights on this rig, but first want to understand where I am.

When the manual refers to a DRL "module", is it referring to the GRL"relay"?

thanks

For a Canadian-spec XJ with the daytime Running Lights, the module is the smallish black box bolted to the right fender under the hood. It actually does the switching and power reduction for reduced-intensity light operation in DRL mode.

I would go wit the 97 info. I can't remember where it was, but I do remember reading that 97 98 where mostly the same, and 99-01 have some differences from the earlier two years of the new body style. I do know that the cruse wiring is different on the 99-01 from the 97-98. As far as putting fogies on, it should be plug & play for the switch and lights. You might have to put the fuse in for them too.

4xBob said:
For a Canadian-spec XJ with the daytime Running Lights, the module is the smallish black box bolted to the right fender under the hood. It actually does the switching and power reduction for reduced-intensity light operation in DRL mode.

THANKS, 4xBob... didn't notice the little bugger before! ...Then; Now I have to wonder "why" the 'DRL only Fog lite relay' was set in the PDC [11-12-13-14-15] fog lite relay plug?

idahjo said:
There is a pigtail behind the r/f bumper, in front of the r/f fender liner. It has a two-prong oval factory socket on it, and has two wires going into it. They are green-violet/blue-black. The pigtail runs back under the battery (on the rt. side; under hood) and goes into the main wire loom.

I guess I mixed apples and oranges. Apparently the pigtail lead was for the (uninstalled) temperature sensor that was coiled in the cavity and not strung to the mid-area behind the bumper where diagrams show. The colors probably should have been Violet-Lt Grn/Black-lt Grn. Was hoping it might be a fog-light pigtail!

If the wire and pigtail you found was coiled up and will reach to the center on the Jeep behind the bumper, it will be the temp sensor pigtail for the optional overhead console. (I've never seen them coiled behind the rf bumper though. They always are clipped up dead center)
If there is not enough wire to go to the center, the wiring is probably for the bettery temp sensor. I'd check to make sure yours is still in place.

Both of the fog lights wiring will come over from the drivers side of the vehicle.

I would def check to rule out the temp sensor or not. My first thought was that was what it is, because of the wire colour. I've a '90 so some differences for sure, but the wiring colurs although different variations I've found to be really similar.

The connector colour, does it have the red boot on it? If so I'd say it most likely is for the temp sensor. Do you have a pic of the connector you could post?

If there is not enough wire to go to the center, the wiring is probably for the bettery temp sensor. I'd check to make sure yours is still in place.

Jeepzz; enlighten me on this 'battery temp sensor'...

Cykaaro; it is currently taped up. There was no cover on it, just a tannish oval plastic clip connector with two female commectors in it. I'm pretty sure it would go to about the center of the X-member.

Battery temp sensor #56027332
I'm not really sure how the battery temp sensor works but it goes something like this: when the battery starts to heat up due to an overcharging situation, the sensor sends a signal to the computer to reduce the high charge input into the battery. (voltage reg)
The wires for the batt temp sensor are right behind the passenger headlight (area).

idahjo said:
Jeepzz; enlighten me on this 'battery temp sensor'...

Cykaaro; it is currently taped up. There was no cover on it, just a tannish oval plastic clip connector with two female commectors in it. I'm pretty sure it would go to about the center of the X-member.

From what I know, the connectors are black, but do have one that is a tannish colour for some reason. The wiring colours though are exactly the same for the temp sensor for the overhead console I put in my '90. I pulled it out of a '91.

cykaaro said:
From what I know, the connectors are black, but do have one that is a tannish colour for some reason. The wiring colours though are exactly the same for the temp sensor for the overhead console I put in my '90. I pulled it out of a '91.
What years will a 91 overhead console plug into? I recently picked one up and was curious what years are a direct plug in?

JEEPZZ said:
What years will a 91 overhead console plug into? I recently picked one up and was curious what years are a direct plug in?

Well, in a '90 it's connector wise a staright plugin, BUT it depends on vehicle to vehicle. Mine is a Pioneer, and seems from what I can tell, it came from the same line the limited's came off of, so I have a lot of unused wiring harnesses installed, where some, including some Pioneers don't. The main connector was tucked way up under the dash, not in the kick panel. As well, the wiring colours are a bit different. I don't have pw or pd at all, so that wasn't a concern, and don't care about the keyless at all, although it's still in the overhead.
From what I've been able to tell in my research, it's been able to be put into an '87-89 models, and it's the same as a '92 overhead. The main difference I've found between the '91 console and earlier ones that I've found [ruinedbasically as someone didn't know how to take them out] the wiring inside the console differs, but the connector from it's computer are the same, and the light switches are totally different. That's about all really that I can tell.

Thanks for the info.

btw, here's what the battery temp sensor looks like. It hooks up to the bottom of the battery tray.

batteryfuse.jpg

np, and thanks for the photo. Don't think I have that but not definite. Have to replace my battery tray so if I ever get it off, will see if there's one there or not.

Back