• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift installed....new problem!

CJHVN

NAXJA Forum User
OK, installed a DPG 3.5" hybrid kit in my 92 XJ, AX5, NP231, 8.25. Drove it out of the garage and I feel/hear a "thump, thump, thump" which I can only assume is the rear driveshaft flopping around. Looked underneath, driveshaft is at a pretty severe angle and the rear yoke and the output on the t-case has slipped out about 1.5" to 2".

So, do I need shims? Do I need a CV joint? Do I need an SYE? Or (gulp) do I need all of the above? I was told that I probably wouldn't need any of these, but you tell me. I'm here to learn!

Soooo....you're lurking around in here as well. I noticed that my pinion was quite a bit low, but you really think shims will take care of it? I thought a SYE and CV shaft would be a better fix. But if that's the case, where do I get a decent set-up without braking the bank?

I guess the shim idea sounds better (read cheaper) than the SYE and CV. I'll swing by and pick up his angle finder and see what I can do with shims.

Other than that, it looks sweet! I didn't think it would look that big. By the way, is Guinneii the correct way to pluralize Guinness?

It sounds like you need a longer driveshaft, or at the least one of the extended front yokes.

The clunk clunk clunk sounds are the yoke arms hitting each other. The DS yoke and the slip yoke dont have good clearance at those angles. The cheapest quick fix is replacing he slip yoke with a YJ yoke. (Rusty's sells a slightly longer replacement for about $60) It has much better clearance on the yoke arms and they wont CLUNK. Drive it too much before you do this and you'll end you'll end up having to replace the DS as well.
A TC drop kit (like the Rusty's which is pretty nice) will help as well. That will help to minimize any potential vibes as well.

OF COURSE the BEST thing to do would be install and SYE and a new DS BUT that takes more $$$.

If...I decided to go the SYE route, where's the best place to get one. This is not my daily driver and it's not my main offroad rig, so I don't want anything fancy, just functional. (i.e. cheap)

I can have a CV built into my shaft pretty cheap here locally.

Eagle said:
It sounds like you need a longer driveshaft, or at the least one of the extended front yokes.

What he said. 3.5" lift with the stock drive shaft and its gonna slip out of the tcase some. Yes, doing a SYE would be the right way but if you are looking for a quick, cheap fix, get the driveshaft lengthened and leave the slip yoke setup there for now.

xtremewlr said:
get the driveshaft lengthened and leave the slip yoke setup there for now.

I don't have a slip yoke, do I? So should I just shim the adjust the pinion angle and lengthen the driveshaft 1.5" to 2"? You think that will cure the problem?

Back