• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the deal with my CPS!!!???

Undeclared

NAXJA Forum User
Two weeks ago I was going mad trying to figure out why my jeep would crank but not run. After reading a few threads I figured it was the crank position sensor so I changed it out. After the cps did not resolve my problem I replaced the sync sensor in the distributor and bingo, the jeep ran again. Now, even though the jeep runs fine, the check engine light comes on and I get trouble code 11, which according to my manual this means there is no signal being given off by the crank position sensor. This does not make any sense because the jeep is still running.

Also, if I disconnect the battery and erase all of the codes, it takes about 20 miles of driving before the check engine light turns back on and trouble code 11 returns.

This is on a 1996 cherokee sport, 4x4, 4.0L, Auto.

If you can get an OBD-II scan tool (Autozone will do it for you) and get the corresponding P codes it might help as the P codes are more definative. The scan tool can clear all codes also.

jeepsx3 said:
If you can get an OBD-II scan tool (Autozone will do it for you) and get the corresponding P codes it might help as the P codes are more definative. The scan tool can clear all codes also.

Good idea to reset the computer after any sensor replacement.

I had the same symptoms as well as the code you did so i bought the cps and took the old one off, unhooked both battery cables, put the new one in, let it sit for about 5 min, hooked the battery cables back up and it fired right up and ran perfectly.

Back