• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear install w-discs & ebrake

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about finished with the install of the loaded 8.25 I got from A-Mechanic on the board here. It went in great, the Detroit is like new, and the brakes are about done. It has discs from a ZJ. I am working out a way to use the factory XJ ebrake cables with the ZJ ebrakes. I think I have it, just need to fab a small part tomorrow. I'll post pics when I'm done. (If it works). Most people change the ebrake cables to make this work... right? At least that's what I have gathered. Anyway... just trying to save some $$ and figure stuff out. Anyone else use the XJ ebrake cables for the disks?

HarveOut-

What year XJ?

On the 97+, you can get away with shortening the stock cables along with a cable clamp on the ebrake lever.

IIRC, there's an article on MadXJ on relocating the earlier model linkage for lifted rigs, might give you enough extra length to do the same thing.

This or simular!
EC-81FC-sm.jpg

I used stock ebrake cables on my 99, with the mount to the frame moved back a little for length (see www.madxj.com ). I just picked up some $.50 cable clamps at the hardware store to take up slack at the caliper, works fine (sorry, no pics...)

Back