• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No leak, then it did, now it doesnt?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
haha, ok... what the heck..

my jeep has been great for NO LEAKS! anywhere... its been great... i go outside this morning and pull out and see 4 drips on the ground.... hmmmm..... ok, so i drive to my destination about 40 minutes away and walk towards my jeep and see about 6 drips... so i start to freak out and check my oil... still just a hair over full.... get down and look under the jeep... not much oil but there is oil there now... so i wipe it all down there at the gas station and and drive home... get home and check under it and its dry... no leak now...

anyone have a clue? ive never had a leak then have it stop...

JOe

KingOfTheHill said:
haha, ok... what the heck..

my jeep has been great for NO LEAKS! anywhere... its been great... i go outside this morning and pull out and see 4 drips on the ground.... hmmmm..... ok, so i drive to my destination about 40 minutes away and walk towards my jeep and see about 6 drips... so i start to freak out and check my oil... still just a hair over full.... get down and look under the jeep... not much oil but there is oil there now... so i wipe it all down there at the gas station and and drive home... get home and check under it and its dry... no leak now...

anyone have a clue? ive never had a leak then have it stop...

JOe

do you know where it came from? Where were the drips underneat in relation to the jeep? Couple things that I can think of:
1. You've got a slow leak
2. You've puked oil someplace and it dripped
3. You drove over something which splashed oil on the underside of your jeep which then dripped.

Oh yeah, couple things to check: look at your oil filter and see if there is no leak there (the orings give with time). The back of your valve cover could be leaking, the rear main and blow by blowing out sideways through some hole/crevise.

i did just do an oil change and removing the filter did get messy... u think it pooled up somewhere and it finally came out?

JOe

Also most people mistake a leak for a jeep marking it's territory, quit parking in new spaces :D or get used to it :laugh3:
When you do an oil change do the following, put a dab of oil on your fingers and lube the new O ring seal before putting it on, lube the threads too on the filter, put it on and hand tighten it snug then give it a another half turn. I use what looks like a big socket that goes on a 3/8 inch drive to both remove and install the filter. Also look around the motor, feel where you can't see. Take a quick feel of the valve cover bolts with a socket and see if any are loose, they can loosen up, mine did a while back. A quick snugging down took care of that. I have a leaky rear output seal leak, does not drip but keeps the underfloor area somewhat lubed and rust free. I'll get around to replacing it if it gets real bad but a half pint a year I can live with as I change it every spring anyway. Might also be that the mobil-1 I use in my TC is better at finding spots to leak out of then normal atf..

Back